Throwaway society

My g/daughter's canon ip 4700 AiO printer has stopped working.

There is a problem with the print head.

As she now has another printer I've inherited it and had a look at buying a new print head .

COST=£82............£7 less than the cost of the printer:o

I'm having a go at cleaning the print head and if that's not the problem then a trip to the tip is called for.

What a waste!!!!

YOU are contributing to the throwaway society.

Last time I checked, YOU were part of society as well.

Buy the print head, save £7, save yourself a trip to the tip, save the world.

REMEMBER: Think Global, Act Local.

(If you have to go to the tip, then cycle there instead)

I got a toaster (made in China) from Morrisons :- £15.00 marked down from £20.00

Its brilliant. How many toasters does Morrisons have to buy, ship them halfway

around the world distribute and sell them in their supermarkets and still

make a profit.

The hard part for me will be disposing of it as electrical waste when it refuses

to perform as a toaster.

As she now has another printer I've inherited it and had a look at buying a new print head .

I'm having a go at cleaning the print head and if that's not the problem then a trip to the tip is called for.

What a waste!!!!

Buy one of these and it'll bring it up like new..it'll also get to the parts that cotton buds won't.

It'll even clean your ring.:hihi:

What a waste!!!!

A neighbour of mine told me she was looking to buy a new printer because hers wasn't working and asked me for a recommendation. Being neighbourly I went round to look at said printer just in case it was something minor.

Turned it on and the OSD stated 'Engineer service required' (or words to that effect). She said she'd called the manufacturer who told her it would be cheaper to buy a new one than paying for a service center to deal with it.

I google'd how to enter the engineer's menu (usually a combination key press) and opened the menu. The error was a counter, once it reached so many pages printed, it was to ask for an engineer. I cleared the counter, restarted the printer and presto it worked.

Now why couldn't the manufacturer have talked her through the process? It took me less than 5 mins to do it and cost NOTHING other than a bit of data usage on my phone.

A neighbour of mine told me she was looking to buy a new printer because hers wasn't working and asked me for a recommendation. Being neighbourly I went round to look at said printer just in case it was something minor.

Turned it on and the OSD stated 'Engineer service required' (or words to that effect). She said she'd called the manufacturer who told her it would be cheaper to buy a new one than paying for a service center to deal with it.

I google'd how to enter the engineer's menu (usually a combination key press) and opened the menu. The error was a counter, once it reached so many pages printed, it was to ask for an engineer. I cleared the counter, restarted the printer and presto it worked.

Now why couldn't the manufacturer have talked her through the process? It took me less than 5 mins to do it and cost NOTHING other than a bit of data usage on my phone.

That is unbelievable.

What a waste!!!!

I once scrapped a printer and bought a new one because the cost of new ink cartridges was more than a new printer.

I got a toaster (made in China) from Morrisons :- £15.00 marked down from £20.00

Its brilliant. How many toasters does Morrisons have to buy, ship them halfway

around the world distribute and sell them in their supermarkets and still

make a profit.

The hard part for me will be disposing of it as electrical waste when it refuses

to perform as a toaster.

A toaster will easily fit in a wheelie bin.

I once scrapped a printer and bought a new one because the cost of new ink cartridges was more than a new printer.

My printer is pretty much the same. A new set of inks costs about the same as a new printer.

The best trick to learn in this instance is to IGNORE the B/S that the manufacturer claims regarding cheaper compatible ink cartridges won't work/will damage the printer.

£40+VAT (£48.) for official cartridges (printer cost me £45 new)

-OR-

£12 for 4 sets of compatible cartridges (making each set £3) from a popular auction site.

No loss in print quality and/or page output and the printer continues to work as it should.

Archived