Explaining money and work to children

would anyone like to place a wager on if Dew Chains has a job or not?

yes I have thank you very much...I also read, think, contemplate, examine past thinkers and their philosophies, analyse politcal arguments from all compass points...

My opening post is a serious discussion point from within social theory

I believethat, over several centuries, a number of "communities" have been formed to run on these principles.

They seem to survive for a generation or two.

As for altus' "open heart surgery", by living a stress free unenslaved life, people will be healthier, and so it won't be needed. We will give up lots of material possessions, cars and computers and so on, and lead happy healthy lives.

Funny how many people don't want to do that!

BTW, in this unenslaved society, I'd probably be dead now, without my heart surgery!

Go on then - explain how heart transplant surgery is going to develop with no money.

or any research and development at all? those two features of life often dont show any reward at all , or no reward for many yrs. so in the eyes of the barter only society they have nothing to contribute. do they starve?

Go on then - explain how heart transplant surgery is going to develop with no money.

Again - you seem to assume people only develop techniques to improve the lives of people, health care etc, for money

Most technical developments in all fields were not developed by people who wanted a wage...they were developed out of passion and interest

Check out Jonas Salk, for example, who developed the polio vaccine and refused to patent...he is quoted as saying "There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?"

Remember that success is its own reward.

Food is a nice reward as well. Cant eat Success.

How do you think people ate before the invention of money?

Where do you think food comes from exactly? From those tins kindly provided - at a cost of course - by global multicorps?

Again - money is removed tomorrow (hypothetical) - would we just stand there like a bunch of morons and say oh! there's no more tins on the supermarket shelf...better lay down and die then! Money is not needed to create food...neither is wage slavery...

C'mon...I thought people in this day and age would read and think a bit more before posting glib replies...I see that too many have been institutionalised by the system and can no longer look through the state-sponsored smoke screen...

How do you think people ate before the invention of money?

Where do you think food comes from exactly? From those tins kindly provided - at a cost of course - by global multicorps?

Again - money is removed tomorrow (hypothetical) - would we just stand there like a bunch of morons and say oh! there's no more tins on the supermarket shelf...better lay down and die then! Money is not needed to create food...neither is wage slavery...

C'mon...I thought people in this day and age would read and think a bit more before posting glib replies...I see that too many have been institutionalised by the system and can no longer look through the state-sponsored smoke screen...

How would you solve our current 'money crisis' then?

Again - you seem to assume people only develop techniques to improve the lives of people, health care etc, for money

Most technical developments in all fields were not developed by people who wanted a wage...they were developed out of passion and interest

Check out Jonas Salk, for example, who developed the polio vaccine and refused to patent...he is quoted as saying "There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?"

Remember that success is its own reward.

oldskater's got my point.

How is somebody, or even a group of people, going to find resources to develop the skills and techniques required. If they are too busy catering to their own survival needs they won't have the time or resources. If society decides it's worth supporting such people, it's going to need some way of transferring the resources to such people. Bartering with someone for food with the promise that, after several generations worth of research, you hope to have produced a way doing something like preventing polio isn't going to work - the pay back it too remote.

Salk not patenting the polio vaccine was commendable but what did he live on whilst doing so?

Archived