Hirsty joins wednesday

Gazza58

I don't just mean TC, Hirsty was a great player and who knows what could have happened if he'd joined Man Utd, he might not have got the injury that did for him.

He was a good old fashioned centre forward, run through a wall for the team I'd have had him at Lane in a heartbeat, but there are lots of goalscorers better than him and as you can't even remember TC it's pointless talking about such as Dooley, Doc Pace, Jimmy Hagan all legends in this city.

I did not see these 4 as just missed them, but know all about their prowess, and ability at both grounds.

Gary Bannister was good gs for you, we had Keith Edwards, Jimmy Bone, Billy Dearden, Alan Woodward, John Tudor. We've had players that could not hit a cows arse with a banjo, same as you have, players like DH only come along every so often in a lifetime.

I agree that in the last 20-30 or so years he's up with the best, as is Edwards, Deane & Agana.

I could go on the Owls have had some good players, but as good as DH was certainly not the greatest that has ever graced this city, he was a gent though and knew how to have a laugh with the Blades.

As he did on the return from the 7-1 drubbing at Arsenal, when we met the team at the service station; I liked him very good no sorry he was brilliant.

---------- Post added 24-04-2013 at 21:21 ----------

Sorry Gazza got to disagree for once with you, there are certain players that come along every so often and have that certain je ne sais quoi, and Shearer was that man he was immense and awesome.

Why he chose Newcastle over Man Utd, only he'll ever know as he put home town love before winning all in sight.

Hirst was a million miles better than those three, anybody can bandy about the names of historic players who they never saw and claim they were better, I'm talking about players I've seen actually play on a regular basis not myths form a time when the game had no resemblance to what it is now (for better or for worse).

Hirst was a million miles better than those three, anybody can bandy about the names of historic players who they never saw and claim they were better, I'm talking about players I've seen actually play on a regular basis not myths form a time when the game had no resemblance to what it is now (for better or for worse).

Sorry but you seem just to be doing down famous names from this city that have played for both clubs, in fact Dooley is a legend at both, name me one person in Sheffield who can put claim to that. Hirst was good but saying better than such as Shearer is like saying a Lada, is better than a Porsche.

As as for no semblance as of now, no in those days it was played by men not a set of Nancy boys, that fall over at the slightest touch.

---------- Post added 25-04-2013 at 09:55 ----------

I'm a Blades fan through and through but have to say Edwards wasn't anywhere near Hirsts calibre.

Did you see Edwards play? I watched almost every game he played in from his debut in 76 I think it was.

Sorry but you seem just to be doing down famous names from this city that have played for both clubs, in fact Dooley is a legend at both, name me one person in Sheffield who can put claim to that. Hirst was good but saying better than such as Shearer is like saying a Lada, is better than a Porsche.

As as for no semblance as of now, no in those days it was played by men not a set of Nancy boys, that fall over at the slightest touch.

Did you see Edwards play? I watched almost every game he played in from his debut in 76 I think it was.

Yes I did see Edwards play and like you practically every game what you seem to be missing is Edwards was not a top flight striker and never made it in the higher league he was an exceptional lower division striker nothing more.

I'm not doing down any famous names, Derek Dooley must have been a fantastic player as his goals record suggests, I cant comment because I never saw him play, the game was played by men back then but the fitness levels and skill levels were way below what is now expected.

I never said Hirst was better than Shearer but had he remained injury free for longer he would have been his equal at least.

Bryan Robson said in relation to the England team that, “It’s not a question of who will replace Lineker, but who will partner David Hirst”

Just depends what credibility you give to Robson - Captain Marvel or Captain Catastrophe.

As for the Hirst vs Di Canio argument, it's easily settled - who got most England caps? :hihi:

thats a joke right?

Not at all David Hirst was by far a better player than Edwards.

Edwards never scored a top flight goal for us in fact he only ever played half a season for us when we were in the top flight and as I say he did not score.

Not at all David Hirst was by far a better player than Edwards.

Edwards never scored a top flight goal for us in fact he only ever played half a season for us when we were in the top flight and as I say he did not score.

That's not his fault, the 75-6 team was shambles and unbelievable after missing Europe by 1 point the previous season. It does not mater what division you play football in, the ball still needs putting in the net, and nobody post war has done it with the alacrity of Edwards at either club.

Hirtsy played 352 games in his career scoring 124 goals that's an average of a goal every 2.83 games. Edwards played 553 career games scoring 256 goals, an average of a goal every 2.16 games.

For United his average was a goal every 1.6 games, Hirsty when at Hillsbro' scored every 2.77 games.

Nobody ever took the chance on KE unlike Ian Rush, when at Chester, had they who knows. I am not by any means comparing Edwards to Pele, but Pele dummying the GK and put ball wide of goal, KE did it against Bristol Rovers, dummying both the defender & GK, putting his finger in the air before slotting the ball in the net.

He took all our corners and no pens, or that I can remember he was also a dead ball expert scoring a few goals from 20 yards & plus.

Below is a list of the 10 all time top scorers in PL, and Hirsty could not compare to any of them no matter how good he was.

1. Alan Shearer: 260 goals in 434 appearancess

2. Andy Cole: 187 goals in 408 appearancess

3. Thierry Henry: 176 goals in 258 appearances *

4. Robbie Fowler: 163 goals in 375 appearances

5. Frank Lampard: 159 goals in 536 appearances *

6. Wayne Rooney: 152 goals in 333 appearances *

7. Michael Owen: 150 goals in 322 appearances *

8. Les Ferdinand: 150 goals in 347 appearances

9. Teddy Sheringham: 146 goals in 407 appearancess

10. Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink: 127 goals in 287 appearances

---------- Post added 25-04-2013 at 15:35 ----------

Bryan Robson said in relation to the England team that, “It’s not a question of who will replace Lineker, but who will partner David Hirst”

Just depends what credibility you give to Robson - Captain Marvel or Captain Catastrophe.

As for the Hirst vs Di Canio argument, it's easily settled - who got most England caps? :hihi:

Don't think many Italians got many England caps Frank, Hirsty played 3 times for England full team scoring 1 goal.

Archived