Hirsty joins wednesday

Gazza58

Come on now pete,yeah the ball still needs putting in the onion bag,but it makes a hell of a difference as to the quality of player you have to get passed to get the shot/header in,the goalkeeper to beat.etc,so what division you are in makes a big difference. Theres been endless strikers in the lower leagues,who just cant cut it at the higher level. Hirsty did,edwards did not.

That's not his fault, the 75-6 team was shambles and unbelievable after missing Europe by 1 point the previous season. It does not mater what division you play football in, the ball still needs putting in the net, and nobody post war has done it with the alacrity of Edwards at either club.

Hirtsy played 352 games in his career scoring 124 goals that's an average of a goal every 2.83 games. Edwards played 553 career games scoring 256 goals, an average of a goal every 2.16 games.

For United his average was a goal every 1.6 games, Hirsty when at Hillsbro' scored every 2.77 games.

Nobody ever took the chance on KE unlike Ian Rush, when at Chester, had they who knows. I am not by any means comparing Edwards to Pele, but Pele dummying the GK and put ball wide of goal, KE did it against Bristol Rovers, dummying both the defender & GK, putting his finger in the air before slotting the ball in the net.

He took all our corners and no pens, or that I can remember he was also a dead ball expert scoring a few goals from 20 yards & plus.

Below is a list of the 10 all time top scorers in PL, and Hirsty could not compare to any of them no matter how good he was.

1. Alan Shearer: 260 goals in 434 appearancess

2. Andy Cole: 187 goals in 408 appearancess

3. Thierry Henry: 176 goals in 258 appearances *

4. Robbie Fowler: 163 goals in 375 appearances

5. Frank Lampard: 159 goals in 536 appearances *

6. Wayne Rooney: 152 goals in 333 appearances *

7. Michael Owen: 150 goals in 322 appearances *

8. Les Ferdinand: 150 goals in 347 appearances

9. Teddy Sheringham: 146 goals in 407 appearancess

10. Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink: 127 goals in 287 appearances

---------- Post added 25-04-2013 at 15:35 ----------

Don't think many Italians got many England caps Frank, Hirsty played 3 times for England full team scoring 1 goal.

You say yourself no one in the top flight took the chance with Edwards apart from us when he didn't deliver that proves to me he was not good enough because United would have sold him if he was.

I didn't see Man utd chasing after him.

When it comes to prolific goalscorers , David (Bronco) Layne,s 58 in 81 for owls, and Derek( Doc) Pace 175 in 302 takes some beating, and that,s when they played with a leather casey.not a balloon

I mentioned Doc Pace, but forgot about Bronco, sorry, and yes it was a real ball not like they play with now.

---------- Post added 25-04-2013 at 17:26 ----------

Come on now pete,yeah the ball still needs putting in the onion bag,but it makes a hell of a difference as to the quality of player you have to get passed to get the shot/header in,the goalkeeper to beat.etc,so what division you are in makes a big difference. Theres been endless strikers in the lower leagues,who just cant cut it at the higher level. Hirsty did,edwards did not.

As I said Gazza, never got the chance that's how the cookie crumbles fella, if you notice I've not dissed Hirsty one, I recognised his talents and shame about his career. I mean Matt Le Tissier would never leave the comfort of Southampton, god knows what would have happened had he moved.

Well, he said what he said before he joined us but he soon fell in love with us and stayed plenty long enough :)

In 1995 my lad wrote the following to Jimmy Greaves' column in Shoot magazine:-

"David Pleat is one of the best managers in the business and I believe that, now he is in charge at a big club, he will get the credit and success he deserves. He should also be congratulated for snapping up one of the bargains of the summer in Marc Degryse for just £1.5m. Who knows, Degryse's presence might inspire David Hirst to get out of his wheelchair!"

He was only a young lad then and may have been misguided about Pleat and Degryse ;) but the story is, my brother in law, who used to go for a pint (or 3) with Hirsty, took him the magazine article to show him and DH wrote on it and signed it with a huge grin "Turn it in Big Boy - enough is enough! :) David Hirst".

All round good egg Hirsty! Oh My Son also won a pair of NB footie boots from JG for the letter too! NB - My lad called us a BIG club - massive not in vogue back in '95!

Well, he said what he said before he joined us but he soon fell in love with us and stayed plenty long enough :)

In 1995 my lad wrote the following to Jimmy Greaves' column in Shoot magazine:-

"David Pleat is one of the best managers in the business and I believe that, now he is in charge at a big club, he will get the credit and success he deserves. He should also be congratulated for snapping up one of the bargains of the summer in Marc Degryse for just £1.5m. Who knows, Degryse's presence might inspire David Hirst to get out of his wheelchair!"

He was only a young lad then and may have been misguided about Pleat and Degryse ;) but the story is, my brother in law, who used to go for a pint (or 3) with Hirsty, took him the magazine article to show him and DH wrote on it and signed it with a huge grin "Turn it in Big Boy - enough is enough! :) David Hirst".

All round good egg Hirsty! Oh My Son also won a pair of NB footie boots from JG for the letter too! NB - My lad called us a BIG club - massive not in vogue back in '95!

Did he not get "done" for kerb crawling

I mentioned Doc Pace, but forgot about Bronco, sorry, and yes it was a real ball not like they play with now.

---------- Post added 25-04-2013 at 17:26 ----------

As I said Gazza, never got the chance that's how the cookie crumbles fella, if you notice I've not dissed Hirsty one, I recognised his talents and shame about his career. I mean Matt Le Tissier would never leave the comfort of Southampton, god knows what would have happened had he moved.

Yes mate i know you havent,and i have noticed you have praised him in the past also.:)

---------- Post added 25-04-2013 at 18:57 ----------

Did he not get "done" for kerb crawling

Yep,and he got rid of hirsty:mad:

Archived