Pubs on park hill lane???

LoopyLou

I lived on st johns road from about 1948 till late 50/s early 60/s and the only pub that

i can imagine you mean is one that we as kids referred to as the hospital

as we were told it had been an hospital during the war not sure which 1/st

or 2/nd, it was an old building built of stone and had a court yard at the front

of the place that we used to call the hospital yard, but this place had

certainly been a pub or an inn at some time with out side urinals,it had the

appearance of a bygone age,

REGARDS THE DEACON

Hi Deacon,

I think you were right, the pub further up Park Hill Lane was the Sportsman, not the Target. Now I can't remember where The Target was, Unless it was the pub the was where Weigh Lane Came off St John's Road. Didn't it kind of face down St. Johns road.

That would make some sense, for as you probably knew, the factory you would know as Longs - up near the Hyde Park greyhound track - was originally an army base of some kind. Don't know when but in WWI, German PoW's were housed there. My Dad (b1907) grew up on Aston Street and he told me that every day in the later part of the war, they marched the German PoWs from St.Johns Road all the way to Attercliffe Common to build the Metro-Vickers factory. Then they would march back at night.

Re: your comment about a pub being a "Hospital" I now remember people used to give it that name but if it was ever a Hospital, it must have been before even WWI.

Regards

HI FALLS

AS I AM QUITE NEW TO THE COMPUTER WORLD, COULD EITHER YOURSELF

OR RETEP POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION ON FINDING OLD MAPS OF THE SAID AREA IE THE PARK DISTRICT. AND IF YOU FALLS HAVE AN E/MAIL ADDRESS IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO TALK ABOUT THEM DAYS WHEN YOU WAS IN THE AREA THAT IS IN DISPUTE. AND YES THE TARGET PUB

DID FACE DOWN ST JOHNS ROAD, IT WAS ABOUT 50YDs FROM OUR FRONT DOOR, I LIVED IN A PREFAB OPPOSITE THE HYDE PARK DOG TRACK.

AND THE SPORTSMAN WAS ON THE TOP ROAD THE NAME OF WHICH I CAN NOT REMEMBER FOR THE LIFE OF ME,IT RAN FROM THE TOP OF ST JOHNS RD

TO THE TOP OF PARK HILL LANE.

REGARDS

• 3 years later...

hi falls have just come across your letter,i've looked in my street directory 1895 about pubs on park hill lane first number 45 john ward beer house. 13 david f wall,vic. 34william furniss beer house. at this time 1895 my wife's great grand father had the black horse on talbot street park which is only half a mile from park hill lane.

Archived