Wheelchairs are NOT for use on the road.

This is the type

http://electricwheelchairstop.com/img-big/40.jpg

---------- Post added 07-05-2013 at 09:45 ----------

My compassion is just fine.

Tell me, do you think its ok for a non road worthy vehicle to travel on the road just because its meant for the disabled?

Also, do you believe its ok for said vehicle to be allowed to obstruct other road users to the point where this wheelchair user had a conga line of traffic some 20+ cars long?

Finally, do you think its safe for said vehicle to travel in the middle of the road paying not attention to oncoming traffic and then responds to the beeping of car horns with profanity?

Can you really not see how you have been brainwashed by the Tories into believing that disabled people are a problem?

The op said it was being driven in the middle of the road and holding up traffic.

Do you see anything wrong with that?

I see nothing wrong with driving my chair in such a manner as to avoid potholes and other such hazards.

I see nothing wrong with driving my chair in such a manner as to avoid potholes and other such hazards.

You're ignorant then.

Holding up a line of traffic just to suit yourself is ignorant in the extreme.

Im glad not every wheelchair user is as ignorant as you. :)

You're ignorant then.

Avoiding potholes is not ignorance, it's pretty much what roasd users are supposed to do.

And if someone holds up traffic in the act of avoiding a pothole, the hold up is not their fault, but the fault of whoever is responsible for roads full of potholes not being repaired.

I prefer to use my wheelchair on the side of the road as on the pavement the chair has a tendency to slide towards the road when you reach some drop down kerbs. I would much rather be already on the road where cars can see me then have my chair suddenly drift into the road making cars suddenly serve away.

But when I am on the road I do pull as close to the side as possible and let cars pass when I reach tight sections. The only time I drift away from the pavement is to avoid potholes, drains and parked cars

I prefer to use my wheelchair on the side of the road as on the pavement the chair has a tendency to slide towards the road when you reach some drop down kerbs. I would much rather be already on the road where cars can see me then have my chair suddenly drift into the road making cars suddenly serve away.

But when I am on the road I do pull as close to the side as possible and let cars pass when I reach tight sections. The only time I drift away from the pavement is to avoid potholes, drains and parked cars

That's pretty much what I do, as my current wheelchair has the same tendency to be "drawn" by the camber of the pavement. (my previous one was a bit better at "road-holding" than the current one).

However as certain folk seem intent, despite the best evidence to the contrary, on believing it's the life's ambition of disabled people to make things as awkward as possible for those who are privileged enough to have no mobility problems, I'll let them keep on thinking that... :);)

The issue I currently have a lot now I've learnt to drive is people parking right close to the back of my car even though I have a sticker on the rear saying not to. I had one last week who parked that close I couldn't even open my boot so I left a nice note written on a napkin and left it on the window

Avoiding potholes is not ignorance, it's pretty much what roasd users are supposed to do.

And if someone holds up traffic in the act of avoiding a pothole, the hold up is not their fault, but the fault of whoever is responsible for roads full of potholes not being repaired.

If you take a look at saabs original post on this subject youll see its not about wheelchair users avoiding potholes.

Its about one selfish disabled person holding up traffic and being abusive.

Dont let the likes of plaintalker put you off its original subject matter :)

If you take a look at saabs original post on this subject youll see its not about wheelchair users avoiding potholes.

Its about one selfish disabled person holding up traffic and being abusive.

Dont let the likes of plaintalker put you off its original subject matter :)

Do you actually KNOW the wheelchair user that saab was moaning about wasn't avoiding the potholes?

---------- Post added 12-05-2013 at 20:55 ----------

You're ignorant then.

I'd rather go round the pothole than risk overturning my chair, thanks. If it cones to weighing up getting a fracture, a concussion, or even being a fatality, against some poor-fish of a driver, who has nothing better to do than to beep his horn for the sake of it, being delayed for a few seconds, then tough cheddar. I'm taking the route around the pothole.

Archived