Scotland and the £1 coin.

If Scotland goes independent, they may have to loose the £1 coin. What are your views on this ?

Personally I think they should. If they want to be independent let them have their own currency or join the euro !

Do they get to keep the 50, 20, 10, 5, 2 and 1 coins?

If Scotland goes independent, they may have to loose the £1 coin. What are your views on this ?

Personally I think they should. If they want to be independent let them have their own currency or join the euro !

I'd rather Scotland remained part of the UK but if they were to leave I'd be unhappy if they still had the pound.

Alex Salmond said that the pound belongs to Scotland as much as England, so why shouldn't Scotland have the pound? but I dont know about that one because I thought that the pound is the currency of the United Kingdom, so therefore if Scotland were not in the United Kingdom they shouldn't have the pound.

I'd rather Scotland remained part of the UK but if they were to leave I'd be unhappy if they still had the pound.

Alex Salmond said that the pound belongs to Scotland as much as England, so why shouldn't Scotland have the pound? but I dont know about that one because I thought that the pound is the currency of the United Kingdom, so therefore if Scotland were not in the United Kingdom they shouldn't have the pound.

If he's happy to keep the pound but have no say in any UK fiscal matters then he's welcome to it..how the Scots would feel about their independent country's currency being regulated by another country is a different matter..

If he's happy to keep the pound but have no say in any UK fiscal matters then he's welcome to it..how the Scots would feel about their independent country's currency being regulated by another country is a different matter..

This was put to him yesterday and his response was that, yes the bank of England is of course in England, but it is independent and so its not the case that the UK government would be controling Scotlands currency, not directly anyway.

It was the Scottish Gordon Brown that made the BOE independent wasn't it? :suspect:

This was put to him yesterday and his response was that, yes the bank of England is of course in England, but it is independent and so its not the case that the UK government would be controling Scotlands currency, not directly anyway.

It was the Scottish Gordon Brown that made the BOE independent wasn't it? :suspect:

The government give the bank the parameters they want to work to..the BoE is independent only in the way it acheives this...what's Ok for the UK may not be OK for a fledgeling independent Scotland..inflation target for example..who's to say the BoE will always be independent..?

The currency has a picture of the monarch on it. I suppose it would depend whether Scotland expected or wanted Queen Liz to be head of state.

Archived