Giving way to motorists at give way lines whilst on a roundabout

Giving way to motorists waiting at the give way lines on a roundabout  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Giving way to motorists waiting at the give way lines on a roundabout

• Hate it - it's not the correct way to negotiate a roundabout
    • Like it - it's necessary on our overcrowded roads
    • Neither like it or hate it

A new style of driving seems to be gaining popularity.

When going around a roundabout, stopping and leaving a gap for a driver waiting at the give way lines to squeeze through and join the roundabout.

So, what do you all think?

Love it or hate it?

If there is congestion on the roundabout and a requirement to stop because the cars in front of you are stationary, then one shouldn’t block the entrance because doing so would prevent other drivers entering the roundabout. Same rule applies to junction on the road, if you are in a queue of traffic don’t block the junction because it prevents other drivers turning right out of the junction or right into the junction.

If the roundabout has the yellow hatching, you should allow people to pass you, like on the University roundabout. If there is no, you don't have to do it.

There is a roundabout near my office that gets heavily congested. I want to turn right but round the other side the tragic wants to turn left. Its a dual carriageway so cars in the right hand lane want to go straight, but if you try to let them, you find you get stuck as cars in the left hand lane pile through and block you off. So unless you block the roundabout you have to wait a very long time, and its your right of way!

I think it makes sense in some circumstances, where the traffic is backing up - you often see it on the small roundabout behind the Pizzahut off Penistone road and it is necessary there at rush hour or no one trying to turn left towards hillsborough would ever get there!

I've had a single car in front of me stop on a roundabout to give way, despite a total lack of congestion.

Hopefully that won't catch on.

maybe he was from greece?

It was one rule of the road over there that I kept ignoring

It all comes down to common sense .If you can't go anywhere let other people through . It may be you tomorrow .

All that needs to be said really.

Archived