Are we a nation of gamblers?

The biggest gambler is the chancellor of the exchanger. Who else gets to gamble on a scale of the likes of Osborne and Brown. I wouldn't trust either of them with a quid down the bookies. Brown would bet it on Elvis being alive on the moon. Osborne would go for a 50 match accumulator on some obscure soccer league, maybe in Canada

Look at how many betting shops there are on high streets these day's loads and loads, look at Fitzalan Square in town 3 or 4 bookies within a step or few within each other.

Then cash loan shops next to them, the gaming machines in the shops are ruining peoples lives, they are considered the crack cocaine of the gambling world...

Check this video diary of a compulsive gambler, he attempts suicide the lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEFWPDvEaTM

I think in terms of economic hardship, people may turn more to other ways of trying to realise cash and mistakenly this could include gambling.

I think i read somewhere that there is almost something genetic about it. If you come from a family that has had gambling problems you're more likely to have inherited it. I don't know if that's true tbh - but i do recall seeing something along those lines.

It is also very much a cultural thing. Depending on your peer group you may be influenced to gamble. In the Far East it is a big thing.

If I said I'd never gambled I'd be lying. I've done the penny falls at the fair ground, I once went to Chetenham races on Gold Cup day (because I lived about 1 mile from the racecourse) and lost £10 and i've played strip poker loads of times and lost. :banana:

But I'm pleased to say I've never been addicted to it.

I know a few people that are. Especially footballers, ex-footballers in particular. A lot of them well known to folks on this forum. Skint and pitiful.

Not for me.

I dont think its in peoples best interests and should be more regulated / taxed more highly as other 'bad habits' are.

I totally agree, especially with tax havens and gambling companies paying zero in taxes.

Archived