We need Latin in schools/ or why I am a grammar Nazi

At school I learnt Latin; it's a fun language, because you can mix up the words in a sentence. Each word has an ending that tells what part of the sentence it is, so :

Amat puella canem/ Puella amat canem/ Canem puella amat

all mean "the girl loves the dog"

Puellam canis amat (and all variants) means "the dog loves the girl"

The "m" ending means it's the one getting loved (amat = loves, puella = girl, canis= dog)

These are called Nominative (who does it?) and accusative (who gets it done to them)

Now the only place we use these forms in English is in the personal pronouns: I / me, He/him, she/her, we/us, they/them, who/whom.

A fundamental rule is that if two or more people do something, they must be in "nominative" case.

If two or more have something done to them, they must both be in accusative case.

So "He, she and I went out shopping" is correct, all three "nominative".

as is "We went out". "Us went out " is only acceptable in back-country dialects.

"The rain fell on me, her and him" is correct, as is "the rain fell on us".

"The rain fell on him and I" "the raim fell on Mary and I" are both wrong; remember, "Mary and I" = WE, "Mary and ME" = US.

Or, just take out the other people. "It fell on (Jim and) ME". Surely you wouldn't say "It fell on I" so whty change just because Jim stuck his nose in?

I've been moved to put finger to keyboard because I'm getting fed up of Australian newspapers and magazines getting this wrong; alas, Americans and Brits are doing it now!

But why do we need to be taught Latin at school,nobody uses it any more except the Pope:loopy:

I made my daughter swap German lessons for Spanish,only the Germans speak German as their 1st language,while Spanish is the second most popular spoken language in the world(used in more countries as first tongue)and think Spanish would offer more in the future.

Which countries have English as their 1st language

Uk

Ireland

Usa

Canada

Australia

New Zealand

South Africa?? I cant think of anymore

Not a lot really when you think about it and consider all the south/Latin American countries that speak Spanish as a first language:huh:

At school I learnt Latin; it's a fun language, because you can mix up the words in a sentence. Each word has an ending that tells what part of the sentence it is, so :

The "m" ending means it's the one getting loved (amat = loves, puella = girl, canis= dog)

These are called Nominative (who does it?) and accusative (who gets it done to them)

Now the only place we use these forms in English is in the personal pronouns: I / me, He/him, she/her, we/us, they/them, who/whom.

A fundamental rule is that if two or more people do something, they must be in "nominative" case.

If two or more have something done to them, they must both be in accusative case.

as is "We went out". "Us went out " is only acceptable in back-country dialects.

"The rain fell on him and I" "the raim fell on Mary and I" are both wrong; remember, "Mary and I" = WE, "Mary and ME" = US.

Or, just take out the other people. "It fell on (Jim and) ME". Surely you wouldn't say "It fell on I" so whty change just because Jim stuck his nose in?

I've been moved to put finger to keyboard because I'm getting fed up of Australian newspapers and magazines getting this wrong; alas, Americans and Brits are doing it now!

I dislike the misuse of I, me, them, us etc. I wasn't taught Latin, but was taught to speak reasonably well by my parents and at school. Even worse (IMO) than 'him and me went shopping' is 'me (and him) went shopping'! When 'and him' is taken out its so obviously wrong!

However, the more recent change that really irritates me, is the misuse of 'myself'. Instead of saying 'Bob and I went shopping' some people now say 'myself and Bob went shopping'. It sounds pretentious and awful.

---------- Post added 25-04-2013 at 07:16 ----------

I'd prefer they taught lessons in how not to gozz all over, and how to use a bin. :rant:

That too! ;)

I've just learnt more about the conjugation of Latin verbs than I did in 5 years of studying it at school, thanks Dr Fish!

But why do we need to be taught Latin at school,nobody uses it any more except the Pope:loopy:

I made my daughter swap German lessons for Spanish,only the Germans speak German as their 1st language,while Spanish is the second most popular spoken language in the world(used in more countries as first tongue)and think Spanish would offer more in the future.

If your daughter does Chemistry she won't thank you as much of the early literature is in German and not a lot in Spanish.

I made my daughter swap German lessons for Spanish,

consider all the south/Latin American countries that speak Spanish as a first language:huh:

1/. Latin teaches the discipline of parts of speech; it's hard to say "him hit me" if you've learnt nominative and accusative.

2/. very wise; wish I'd learnt Spanish at school, we get lots of Spanish speaking migrants in Oz.

Which countries have English as their 1st language

Uk

Ireland

Usa

Canada

Australia

New Zealand

South Africa?? I cant think of anymore

Not a lot really when you think about it and consider all the south/Latin American countries that speak Spanish as a first language:huh:

English is an official language or is predominantly spoken in the following countries:

Antigua and Barbuda

Australia

Bahamas

Barbados

Beliza

Botswana

Canada

Fiji

Gambia

Ghana

Grenada

Guyana