We need Latin in schools/ or why I am a grammar Nazi

Languages taught at school are Mandarin in Years 3 and 4, French in Years 5 and 6

Year 7 pupils are taught French and Latin.

In Year 8 pupils still continue to be taught Latin and French. Spanish and German are also introduced in Year 8

In Year 9 Students choose two Modern Foreign Languages from French, German and Spanish.

But why do we need to be taught Latin at school,nobody uses it any more except the Pope:loopy:

I made my daughter swap German lessons for Spanish,only the Germans speak German as their 1st language,while Spanish is the second most popular spoken language in the world(used in more countries as first tongue)and think Spanish would offer more in the future.

Which countries have English as their 1st language

Uk

Ireland

Usa

Canada

Australia

New Zealand

South Africa?? I cant think of anymore

Not a lot really when you think about it and consider all the south/Latin American countries that speak Spanish as a first language:huh:

You deny your daughter the chance of becoming Pope.Shame on you.Social services anyone ?

However, the more recent change that really irritates me, is the misuse of 'myself'. Instead of saying 'Bob and I went shopping' some people now say 'myself and Bob went shopping'. It sounds pretentious and awful.

could not agree more with this comment - it's all about me - not myself

The majority of posters on this forum these days can't grasp English, let alone a foreign language. They revel in their own ignorance sneering and sniping at anybody who knows which 'they're/there' to use

One of the reasons Ash is one of my favourite forumers here is that he embraced sharing the forum with people whose standard of English was more finely tuned, and welcomed the opportunity to learn in such an informal environment. I love reading his posts, knowing how he posted in the past. Why don't more members take that opportunity? Is learning unsuitable for plebs or something? :confused:

1/. Latin teaches the discipline of parts of speech; it's hard to say "him hit me" if you've learnt nominative and accusative.

2/. very wise; wish I'd learnt Spanish at school, we get lots of Spanish speaking migrants in Oz.

that's interesting jfish.

I know in many Romance languages, (French, Spanish, Italian etc) the sentence construction is different than in English+-

in english, we would say "the blue car". IN spanish French and Italian, they would say "The car blue".

Strangely, the grammar for British Sign Language also has this "continental" syntax. Using BSL, you would sign "the car blue" also. (in BSl to say "how are you?", you'd simply sign "good" (well) "you" (*questioning expression*).

I wonder how many other languages across the world have the same quirks of grammar and syntax?

I found Latin to be instrumental in understanding, then consistently applying, grammar and syntax in several 'modern' languages.

French (native), German (which I use professionally in mostly written, but at times spoken, form), English (obviously!), and both Italian and Spanish (basic notions in each - but easy enough to grasp thanks to Latin grounding and native French).

It also underpins most of the etymology in very many modern languages, particularly useful for scientific/technical fields. Again, it has helped me immensely in 'transferring' technical knowledge acquired in French and German, into English when I moved over here.

I am certainly a staunch supporter of it, for its mass reintroduction in the national curriculum, preferably very early on.

The majority of posters on this forum these days can't grasp English, let alone a foreign language. They revel in their own ignorance sneering and sniping at anybody who knows which 'they're/there' to use

One of the reasons Ash is one of my favourite forumers here is that he embraced sharing the forum with people whose standard of English was more finely tuned, and welcomed the opportunity to learn in such an informal environment. I love reading his posts, knowing how he posted in the past. Why don't more members take that opportunity? Is learning unsuitable for plebs or something? :confused:

I wooded have posted 'cannot' in that thing.

<<<<

English is an official language or is predominantly spoken in the following countries:

Antigua and Barbuda

Australia

Bahamas

Barbados

Beliza

Botswana

Canada

Fiji

Gambia

Ghana

Grenada

Guyana

India

Jamaica

Kenya

Kiribati

Liberia

Malawi

Malta

Marshall Islands

Mauritius

Micronesia

Namibia

New Zealand

Nigeria

Pakistan

Palau

Panama

Papua New Guinea

Philippines

Rwanda

Saint Kitts and Nevis

Saint Lucia

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Seychelles

Sierra Leone

Singapore

South Africa

Swaziland

Tanzania

Trinidad and Tobago

United Kingdom

United States

Vanuatu

Zambia

Zimbabwe

Ok, so English is spoken in all these countries,but its not the native tongue in the majority,

Singapore for example would have Chinese as a native tongue

India definately has its own language rather than English and I presume all the African countries listed here would have spoken their own language before English.

Archived