Joe Lawton case..Your opinion?

This is the story, I'm sure some of you will already be aware of it......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-21706130

Joe's parents believe that things would have been different had they been informed about their son's arrest.

His Dad was on the news this morning stating that 17 year olds should not be treat like adults when taken into custody.

The lad made a very silly mistake, but I fail to see how any changes in the law would have saved his life.

His Dad went on to say that, in every other walk of life, children are not treated as adults until they are 18, why should things be different in this case?

Ironic that he killed himself with a weapon he was legal to use (under supervision) from the age of 14. Also he was legally old enough to drive the car, and legally old enough have sex and marry any of the women that he met at the party.

Tragic events, none the less, but unavoidable in my opinion.

Sorry but if he's old enough to drive then he's old enough to be treated like an adult.

He chose to drink and drive so rightly he had to face the consequences without mummy or daddy.

My little nephew innocently walking home on a footpath was killed by just such a moron, he had no choices. I have no sympathy.

I heard his mother on the radio this morning, saying how 17 year olds were 'vulnerable' and so on. Well, if you're going to treat them as children in custody then why not go the whole way and treat them like children for everything else as well - raise the age of consent to 18, don't let them drive till they're 18 and so on. Then the problem wouldn't have arisen.

Joe's parents believe they could have given him more support had they been able to see him in a police cell.

If his parents had treated him like a child and not allowed him out drinking, not allowed him access to a shotgun, he may well be still alive, I can understand why they are looking for someone else to blame, it can’t be easy for them to live with.

I think the support from other circles makes a lot of difference to people, whether it would have saved this lads life is difficult to say though and maybe there were other circumstances involved that caused him to end his life.

Totally agree with everyone else who has posted.

Nobody knows what was going through the lad's head at the time, but changing the law because of a chain of events that suits his parent's agenda won't make a difference.

It could have been just as likely that he would have killed himself if he had not been put in a cell.

This is the story, I'm sure some of you will already be aware of it......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-21706130

Joe's parents believe that things would have been different had they been informed about their son's arrest.

His Dad was on the news this morning stating that 17 year olds should not be treat like adults when taken into custody.

The lad made a very silly mistake, but I fail to see how any changes in the law would have saved his life.

His Dad went on to say that, in every other walk of life, children are not treated as adults until they are 18, why should things be different in this case?

Ironic that he killed himself with a weapon he was legal to use (under supervision) from the age of 14. Also he was legally old enough to drive the car, and legally old enough have sex and marry any of the women that he met at the party.

Tragic events, none the less, but unavoidable in my opinion.

Parents are playing the blame game.

Archived