Osbornes medicine is working!

Try this then:

http://falseeconomy.org.uk/cure/what-do-the-experts-say

---------- Post added 30-04-2013 at 19:16 ----------

What is considered to be a great success for the downgraded chancer is that we've avoided a triple dip recession. Says it all really.

...................for now.

---------- Post added 30-04-2013 at 19:35 ----------

no, just a very bad judge of character :P

Agreed Tory Boy!;)

Remind me who you vote for. It can't be the Tories that's for sure. If it is they must be a huge disappointment.

I don't vote for two reasons.

There isn't a party that will do what is required and I live in a labour safe seat making voting pointless.

I would start with tax cuts to increase production in the private sector; tax cuts would create jobs and increase prosperity.

What makes you think tax cuts will increase production in the private sector? In the (false) boom years, private industry in this country was borrowing more than any other sector. By 2007 the private sector in the UK was indebted by four times GDP thanks to cheap credit. If the private sector couldn't create tons of jobs with all that cheap money to invest and with an artificially inflated market for goods and services thanks to personal and state borrowing, what makes you think it can achieve it now thanks to a few tax cuts?

I suspect the problem is a lot more fundamental than you think. It may even be that Marx was correct re: the tendency of the rate of profit to decline.

What makes you think tax cuts will increase production in the private sector? In the (false) boom years, private industry in this country was borrowing more than any other sector. By 2007 the private sector in the UK was indebted by four times GDP thanks to cheap credit. If the private sector couldn't create tons of jobs with all that cheap money to invest and with an artificially inflated market for goods and services thanks to personal and state borrowing, what makes you think it can achieve it now thanks to a few tax cuts?

I suspect the problem is a lot more fundamental than you think. It may even be that Marx was correct re: the tendency of the rate of profit to decline.

They wouldn't achieve it with a few tax cuts, reversing the mess we are in will take decades and a lot more than a few tax cuts.

I don't vote for two reasons.

There isn't a party that will do what is required and I live in a labour safe seat making voting pointless.

OK, so let's start picking up on your points. Regarding state monopoly of health care what system would you go for? Keep in mind that the NHS accounts for 9-10% of GDP and the health system in the USA 15%. A USA-style system would cost us more.

Post of the day.

Any party that took decisive action would become monumentally unpopular in a very short time.

Whether Mrs. Thatcher took the right action or not in 1979-83, the population responded as any pampered child would to unpleasant medicine. It recoiled.

She would have been utterly trounced at the 1983 general election had it not been for two things:

The utterly unexpected effect on the population of the "Falklands Factor".

The fact that the Labour Party had veered sharply to the left and was racked by schism.

Those two factors won't save The Boy David from the political fall-out from the almost non-existent "austerity" measures being implemented, let alone anything more severe.

Do you ever get the feeling that the inability of capitalism to deliver a decent standard of living for most people, even in the most affluent countries, has been masked by huge borrowing for decades, or even a century?

OK, so let's start picking up on your points. Regarding state monopoly of health care what system would you go for? Keep in mind that the NHS accounts for 9-10% of GDP and the health system in the USA 15%. A USA-style system would cost us more.

A combination of private and state with more insurance backed health care, and in time something closer to Switzerland’s health care.

A combination of private and state with more insurance backed health care, and in time something closer to Switzerland’s health care.

An extra 1.3% of GDP to have that, going by 2010 stats.

Can we afford it? You see, cutting the amount the state spends doesn't necessarily make it cheaper overall.

An extra 1.3% of GDP to have that, going by 2010 stats.

Can we afford it? You see, cutting the amount the state spends doesn't necessarily make it cheaper overall.

There’s little point in it being cheap, when its crap, changing it would give us a significantly better service for a little more, or a better service for the same.

Archived