Race track at the back of Hyde Park flats

Shogun

I've been studying that and apparently a flapping track is a unregulated dog racing track where you can basically turn up on the day with you dog race it bet on it etc a bit like a sort of free for all dog racing track,you can bet show your dog off and meet people sounds like a good night out,most dog race tracks are now heavily regulated.

The dog track at Goldthorpe is a flapper track I believe. We used to play on the derilict Darnall dog track at the top of Poole Road as kids in the 60's.

I remember the Hyde Park track, was told that someone put a piece of formica in the favourites trap so the dog couldn't get out when it opened. Could be true alsorts happened at these tracks!

Could quite easily belive it:hihi:Like you say,allsorts use to go on. a common trick was to fill the dogs up [and slow em down]wish mashed spuds when they were trialing.Slow time means good odds.:)

I've been studying that and apparently a flapping track is a unregulated dog racing track where you can basically turn up on the day with you dog race it bet on it etc a bit like a sort of free for all dog racing track,you can bet show your dog off and meet people sounds like a good night out,most dog race tracks are now heavily regulated.

You couldn't just turn up on the day. Your dog had to do a qualifying time. You then rang the track up a couple of days before you wanted to race it.

It would then be entered into a race handicapped so that, allegedly,:suspect: any dog was capable of winning.

I once went to the Hyde Park flats and I can remember seeing at the back some sort of track or what looked like a small sports ground there, does anyone know of this ground or have any information as to what it was,I think it was about 25 years ago when I saw it,one thing that struck me was seeing loads of rats scurrying about the place.

Before the flats were built there used to be pig sties by the dog track.

As kids we went that way to the Park and Norfolk cinemas and the area was infested by rats.

Before the flats were built there used to be pig sties by the dog track.

As kids we went that way to the Park and Norfolk cinemas and the area was infested by rats.

Yes thats right my dad had one and then thay built the St jonhs Vicarage on top of it :hihi::hihi:

Archived