Men V Woman? Are We Now Finally Equal?

Only the strongest of men can carry out some of the tasks that arise in the building trade.

Sorry lasses but it is a fact I have seen many a bloke think he was Jack the Lad only to go home with his ego deflated at the end of the first day.

On the other hand, having a baby requires enormous strength and stamina and is something no man can do.

Bet you wouldn't know how to sew darts in a dress or sew an invisable hem either... Each to their own....

Men and Women: different, but equal.

If you cannot remain civil i will issue bans.

Is there some one who has not.?

---------- Post added 02-05-2013 at 07:49 ----------

Biology has to be a consideration. You can't get away from it, but the main areas are strength and physical endurance, (usually, but not exclusively, a male attribute,) and childbirth, (a female characteristic which takes them out of the workplace temporarily.)

However outside these two extremes we should have parity. But do we?

It's interesting when it comes to childcare; are women predisposed to deliver it, or is that more of a cultural thing? I don't know, but I do know excellent care givers of both sexes.

Nevertheless, would I be right in saying that childcare is still seen mainly as a female responsibility and they are the chief organiser of that and family life? I've heard high powered women say that what they need is a 'wife' ie. someone who can do all the organising, setting up the timetables and routines to make sure that everything runs smoothly and someone is available to take X to the dentist, and pick up the shopping etc. I'm not saying that men don't do their share - far from it, but they do seem mentally able to commit fully to work because they don't have these things to think about.

Not all women can afford nannies.

(See what I mean...? Put 'men' in the above sentence and see how odd it sounds...)

How can you change that? Well so far you can't, which is why some women chose not to have children and concentrate on a carreer. But is this equality?

Should we make allowances for family life? Time off, creches etc. And if so why do we think in terms of it being for the 'woman's' benefit rather than the 'family's'?

What do men think about this?

You are right in every thing you say ,The problem arises when you try to juggle both situations, I.E. bringing up kids and working full time.

This effects both partners of course.

But in the traditional family's of the past the man has been the breadwinner and the mam saw to the household situation and that system worked.

Perhaps the problem is that now people want to much and in doing so miss out on the simpler things in life.

By the way the hunter gatherer system has been around for 30,000 years [as far as I can remember anyway]

Biology has to be a consideration. You can't get away from it, but the main areas are strength and physical endurance, (usually, but not exclusively, a male attribute,) and childbirth, (a female characteristic which takes them out of the workplace temporarily.)

However outside these two extremes we should have parity. But do we?

Yes there is parity outside the 'extremes', do you have any particular reason to believe you don't ?

It's interesting when it comes to childcare; are women predisposed to deliver it, or is that more of a cultural thing? I don't know, but I do know excellent care givers of both sexes.

What do you think Anna ? I would suggest women are predisposed to a greater degree than men both biologically and culturally.

Nevertheless, would I be right in saying that childcare is still seen mainly as a female responsibility and they are the chief organiser of that and family life? I've heard high powered women say that what they need is a 'wife' ie. someone who can do all the organising, setting up the timetables and routines to make sure that everything runs smoothly and someone is available to take X to the dentist, and pick up the shopping etc. I'm not saying that men don't do their share - far from it, but they do seem mentally able to commit fully to work because they don't have these things to think about.

That is a fair point, women do tend to do most organising around the family, while men generally can and do commit more fully to work.

Not all women can afford nannies.

(See what I mean...? Put 'men' in the above sentence and see how odd it sounds...)

Not all parents can afford nannies or childcare !

How can you change that? Well so far you can't, which is why some women chose not to have children and concentrate on a carreer. But is this equality?

Yes it is equality, everyone has the opportunity to make choices in their lives, for women the key is deciding when and if they want a family !

Should we make allowances for family life? Time off, creches etc. And if so why do we think in terms of it being for the 'woman's' benefit rather than the 'family's' ?

Allowances are made, but the world of work does not allow those allowances to stop production, and cover has to be found, and not just in the top jobs that can be very difficult.

What do men think about this?

Equality is difficult to assess, do you think women should work longer or contribute more to cover their average of around 5 extra years claiming a pension ? :wink:

Equality is difficult to assess, do you think women should work longer or contribute more to cover their average of around 5 extra years claiming a pension ? :wink:

It's hard to argue against equalising the retirement age, but (and this will probably rouse comment) I do think most women work harder. They have 2 jobs; 1 outside the home, and another 1 inside it. And they never retire anyway. My mother was cooking and cleaning well into her 80's.

Various surveys have been done trying to work out what women's unpaid labour in the home is actually worth and it's thousands of pounds a year. They also often take on more responsibility after retirement looking after the grandchildren and their elderly parents. So in my opinion it's a bit mean to make them wait another 5 years for a pension.

Equality is a state of mind as well as a legislative procedure.

It's hard to argue against equalising the retirement age, but (and this will probably rouse comment) I do think most women work harder. They have 2 jobs; 1 outside the home, and another 1 inside it. And they never retire anyway. My mother was cooking and cleaning well into her 80's.

Various surveys have been done trying to work out what women's unpaid labour in the home is actually worth and it's thousands of pounds a year. They also often take on more responsibility after retirement looking after the grandchildren and their elderly parents. So in my opinion it's a bit mean to make them wait another 5 years for a pension.

Nowadays household chores are shared too. My mum and dad shared them, in fact since my Dad died last year my Mum has said she misses my Dad doing the shopping, cooking, baking, sorting her car out, arranging tradespeople etc.. They are/were late 70's. Although they both moaned equally about the other, I reckon their input was at least equal.

In the workplace I'm seeing both men and women more restrained by childcare etc.. This can actually place more load on those without children or grown up kids, but therefore more opportunities. Some families do seem to think that work should come second nowadays...

Women work harder mmmmmmmm OK, maybe in the home, but generally I don't know about that :suspect:

I think couples who both work tend to share household duties these days, women may still do more of the traditional household chores, but I know many married blokes who do some of the washing, ironing, cleaning as well as the diy and the gardening etc, and I am talking about middle aged blokes here not young uns.

The days of women doing all the housework and the hubby sat with his feet up are generally over, those who continue in those ways are a dying breed, and are a throwback to when she stayed home and he went to work !

I will admit to having never fully cleaned the bathroom in 30 odd years of marriage but the mrs has never paid a household bill !

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down a road with a big fat beer belly and tattoos on each arm.:rolleyes:

Sorry Pattricia but there are LOADS of women like that in Sheffield, some can spit further as well.

Archived