Pedestrian Crossings or Not?

With the proliferation of dropped kerbs for the use of mobility scooters etc, there seems to be a corresponding increase in the number of pedestrians using them as normal pedestrian crossings. When motorists fail to stop to allow them to cross, pedestrians sometimes become quite irate. I have found no reference to dropped kerbs in this context in the Highway Code. I was wondering if any forum contributors were aware of any unofficial etiquette that has evolved to deal with these situations.

I was wondering if any forum contributors were aware of any unofficial etiquette that has evolved to deal with these situations.

I think that his 'unofficial etiquette' to let people cross the road can be confusing and dangerous.

Some drivers do stop, and others dont, so its dangerous.

Highway Code rule 170:

Take extra care at junctions. You should

• watch out for cyclists, motorcyclists, powered wheelchairs/mobility scooters and pedestrians as they are not always easy to see. Be aware that they may not have seen or heard you if you are approaching from behind
  • watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way

Highway Code rule 170:

Take extra care at junctions. You should

• watch out for cyclists, motorcyclists, powered wheelchairs/mobility scooters and pedestrians as they are not always easy to see. Be aware that they may not have seen or heard you if you are approaching from behind
  • watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way

So toeing it to make you run is not allowed!

I've never come across this. I've seen cars stopping at the speed humps that extend the width of the road and encourage pedestrians to cross, which is pretty dangerous.

I recall one a couple of hundred yards above the Grindstone. And I also recall an official from the council, I think, quoted in the Star, saying something to the effect that people shouldn't think they can cross there despite it looking like it is an official crossing. He seemed to ignore the point that they made it look like a crossing in the first place.

I don't drive on that road very often, now, so don't know if it still like that.

I drive on Rustlings Rd, and regularly see people crossing at the humps. It makes sense. The traffic calming of the hump and the narrower road to cross makes it the safest place to cross. On occasions, where pedestrians might otherwise have to wait a long time, I will stop to let them cross, if it is safe. It's not bad there as traffic is ususlly fairly slow due to narrow carriageway and poor sightlines.

I recall one a couple of hundred yards above the Grindstone. And I also recall an official from the council, I think, quoted in the Star, saying something to the effect that people shouldn't think they can cross there despite it looking like it is an official crossing. He seemed to ignore the point that they made it look like a crossing in the first place.

I don't drive on that road very often, now, so don't know if it still like that.

I drive on Rustlings Rd, and regularly see people crossing at the humps. It makes sense. The traffic calming of the hump and the narrower road to cross makes it the safest place to cross. On occasions, where pedestrians might otherwise have to wait a long time, I will stop to let them cross, if it is safe. It's not bad there as traffic is ususlly fairly slow due to narrow carriageway and poor sightlines.

I've seen a number of near misses when pedestrians are encouraged to cross the road, especially with vehicles travelling in the opposite direction. The Highway Code specifically discourages it.

I've seen a number of near misses when pedestrians are encouraged to cross the road, especially with vehicles travelling in the opposite direction. The Highway Code specifically discourages it.

Yes it goes on but you'd have to be crazy to accept the road is safe on the wave of a driver.

Wherever a pedestrian is waiting where the traffic is too busy for a natural gap, I will allow them to cross, especially if they are less mobile - by age, pushing a buggy, or whatever - or if they're stood in the pouring rain and I'm warm and dry in my car

I just don't understand the cognitive process that some people choose to go through, justifying NOT easing the way on this earth for others. You should try being nice to other people sometimes. It really does make you a better person, and the world a nicer place

Archived