Pedestrian Crossings or Not?

I recall one a couple of hundred yards above the Grindstone. And I also recall an official from the council, I think, quoted in the Star, saying something to the effect that people shouldn't think they can cross there despite it looking like it is an official crossing. He seemed to ignore the point that they made it look like a crossing in the first place.

They even had signs up that made it look like a zebra crossing to start with when they first went in as I recall...

I just don't understand the cognitive process that some people choose to go through, justifying NOT easing the way on this earth for others. You should try being nice to other people sometimes. It really does make you a better person, and the world a nicer place

I know! I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this any more!

Wherever a pedestrian is waiting where the traffic is too busy for a natural gap, I will allow them to cross, especially if they are less mobile - by age, pushing a buggy, or whatever - or if they're stood in the pouring rain and I'm warm and dry in my car

I just don't understand the cognitive process that some people choose to go through, justifying NOT easing the way on this earth for others. You should try being nice to other people sometimes. It really does make you a better person, and the world a nicer place

How do you deal the the traffic coming in the opposite direction when you 'allow then to cross', is it just a case of hoping for the best that they'll be seen in the busy traffic?

How do you deal the the traffic coming in the opposite direction when you 'allow then to cross', is it just a case of hoping for the best that they'll be seen in the busy traffic?

You don't have to deal with the oncoming traffic, the pedestrian has to look in both directions....simples.

You don't have to deal with the oncoming traffic, the pedestrian has to look in both directions....simples.

Obviously, but the problem arises when stopping the flow of traffic in one direction, this puts pressure on the pedestrian to the cross the road at that time, despite the busy traffic in the opposite direction still moving.

So what does the pedestrian do?

A) Move into the middle of the road and hope that they get seen.

B) Wait for a natural gap.

Obviously, but the problem arises when stopping the flow of traffic in one direction, this puts pressure on the pedestrian to the cross the road at that time, despite the busy traffic in the opposite direction still moving.

So what does the pedestrian do?

A) Move into the middle of the road and hope that they get seen.

B) Wait for a natural gap.

If it's busy I wave the motorist on but i've also found that once you're on the road traffic going t'other way halts to let you cross their lane.

I live in Woodhouse. It's full of non-pedestrian crossing pedestrian refuges. If I allow them to cross it's to a refuge

Elsewhere you often find rush hour traffic is predominantly in one direction anyway. Allowing a pedestrian to cross through the stream of traffic on one side allows them to negotiate the empty lane in the other direction

---------- Post added 26-04-2013 at 11:59 ----------

If it's busy I wave the motorist on but i've also found that once you're on the road traffic going t'other way halts to let you cross their lane.

yep, that too. It's funny how few people take the initiative, but how many will join in if somebody else starts something

Archived