Pedestrian Crossings or Not?

I was told that disabled people have the right of way,i'e traffic should give way, but ordinary pedestrians use the pelican crossings.I don't know if that's official though.

As a driver, what you may view as a disabled person would vary to someone else so I can't agree to the above quote. There are more dropped kerbs to help wheelchair users and other groups. I wouldn't expect a driver to slow down and stopped just because there is a pedestrian at a dropped kerb. This will confuse drivers around you and the possibly put the pedestrian at risk. However, if the pedestrian entered the road, they would gain priority.

As a driver, what you may view as a disabled person would vary to someone else so I can't agree to the above quote. There are more dropped kerbs to help wheelchair users and other groups. I wouldn't expect a driver to slow down and stopped just because there is a pedestrian at a dropped kerb. This will confuse drivers around you and the possibly put the pedestrian at risk. However, if the pedestrian entered the road, they would gain priority.

I didn't agree with it or disagree with it,just said it's what I was told.Personally I never expect a vehicle to stop for anything.Nice if they do but it's not the nature of the beast.

Archived