Ask the police - a new and definitive info' resource

Q96: Is cannabis legal?

Cannabis is a class B drug and it is illegal to use, possess, supply or produce the drug.

In England and Wales, a first offence for possession of cannabis could attract a warning or a penalty notice for disorder, any aggravating factors are likely to lead to an arrest and prosecution.

The maximum sentence in a Magistrates' Court is a penalty of three years imprisonment and/or a fine not exceeding £2,500. In a Crown Court the maximum sentence is five years imprisonment and/or a fine. A conviction of production and/or supply of the drug can carry a maximum sentence of 14 years imprisonment.

However, it is worth noting that these are only proposed penalties. It does not necessarily mean that a first offence for possession will certainly be met with a warning. The Crown Prosecution Service could decide to prosecute a first time offender for possession of more than a minimal amount of the drug.

CANNS helpline (for cannabis & skunk) Tel 0844 3351506 which offers support - mainly to loved ones who are affected by the taking of cannabis & skunk, but also for addicts.

Supplementary question in response to answer for Q96... Are you having us on SYP? Everybody smokes it in the street you see.

Supplementary question in response to answer for Q96... Are you having us on SYP? Everybody smokes it in the street you see.

we live on different streets, on mine hardly anyone even smokes fags. i have not seen/smelt anyone smoking weed in the 5 yrs i have been here.

Q630: I want to advertise for the return of an item I lost or had stolen, is it legal?

It is legal as long as the advert does not contain the following phrases or variations of them.

no questions will be asked, or

the the person producing the goods will be safe from apprehension or enquiry, or

that any money paid for the purchase of the goods or advanced by way of loan on them will be repaid.

If it does then both the creator and publisher of the advert are guilty of an offence and liable to be fined.

Great, so if someone doesn't feel all warm and fuzzy when they get a crime number and actively seek to get their goods back themselves they're a criminal?

Archived