North,East and West Ridings of Yorkshire

At last it looks as though we are to get back our Yorkshire heritage of the "Thirdings " or the three ridings after it was taken from us nearly fourty years ago .

I hope that as many as possible will celebrate the occasion on Yorkshire day ( August 1st . )

I like the sound of that.

I've missed being able to be proud to say I'm from the West Riding of Yorkshire!

(I'm just worried about the small fortune it will cost to have this latest "change" incepted, though... :( )

You are right about the - " small fortune " though and , on top of what it cost to change them all in the first place .

We waste so much money in this country , either changing or replacing something which should have been left alone .

I do know that the Hull area they are angry that they were given the 'Humberside' title rather than East Yorkshire.

At one time wasn't South Yorkshire subsumed into West Yorkshire? I might have imagined it though

Forgive me but I mean no disrespect when I say that you must be less than 40.

Prior to 1974 there was no such place as south Yorkshire .

Yorkshire consisted of three ridings ( thirdings ) . North, East and West . The City of York was and still is the 'City and County of York'.

In 1974, the then government , amended the boundaries of Yorkshire and several other counties - for administrative purposes - against great opposition .

The conflict has raged on ever since .

August 1st. is Yorkshire day and is celebrated around the world by ex-pats., in Canada , USA,Australia and New Zealand , by flying the Yorkshire, white rose on a blue background , flag .

You are quite right to that Sheffield , Rotherham , Barnsley and Doncaster are all West Riding.

Forgive me but I mean no disrespect when I say that you must be less than 40.

Yorkshire consisted of three ridings ( thirdings ) . North, East and West . The City of York was and still is the 'City and County of York'.

In 1974, the then government , amended the boundaries of Yorkshire and several other counties - for administrative purposes - against great opposition .

The conflict has raged on ever since .

August 1st. is Yorkshire day and is celebrated around the world by ex-pats., in Canada , USA,Australia and New Zealand , by flying the Yorkshire, white rose on a blue background , flag .

You are quite right to that Sheffield , Rotherham , Barnsley and Doncaster are all West Riding.

Nearly, I'm 43.

Was sufficiently interested to get a map of the old boundaries.

http://story.theholdsworths.org.uk/pics/Yorkshire_Ridings.jpg

Not sure if I like the idea of being lumped in with the rest of West Yorkshire though. I think Leeds, Huddersfield, Bradford and Wakefield have their identity which to me seems distinct from Sheffield, Barnsley and Doncaster. Possibly relates to their industrial heritage more than anything else.

And to add to Mike's post, the people of Hull are no longer miffed - Humberside was abolished in 1996.

I didn't realise that! I'm sure I've heard news reporters refer to Humberside police....

Indeed, and had done so for around 1000 years.

"South Yorkshire" is a construct of long forgotten petty bureaucrats in cheap shiny suits. If it goes, I shall not miss it.

Nearly, I'm 43.

Was sufficiently interested to get a map of the old boundaries.

http://story.theholdsworths.org.uk/pics/Yorkshire_Ridings.jpg

Not sure if I like the idea of being lumped in with the rest of West Yorkshire though. I think Leeds, Huddersfield, Bradford and Wakefield have their identity which to me seems distinct from Sheffield, Barnsley and Doncaster. Possibly relates to their industrial heritage more than anything else.

I didn't realise that! I'm sure I've heard news reporters refer to Humberside police....

Come on now ! With such a large area as we are the cultures are bound to be wide and diverse . From Industry to commerce and farming to tourism . We have coastal attractions and camping /country pursuits and, we have the history and heritage to go with it . Most importantly however , we have the renowned grit of its people . Which is something worth celebrating in its self .

Check out " Yorkshire day celebrations in Sheffield " on the google web site .

It gives events around the whole county as well as Sheffield . That should give you some idea of the strength of feeling for the event .

---------- Post added 26-04-2013 at 20:38 ----------

Indeed, and had done so for around 1000 years.

"South Yorkshire" is a construct of long forgotten petty bureaucrats in cheap shiny suits. If it goes, I shall not miss it.

How right you are .

It was created ,dismantled and is now to be laid to rest ,all by a government of the same persuasion .

Yeah, it's confusing - Humberside as a county or administrative region is no more, but the name lingers in Humberside Police and Humberside Fire and Rescue Services - think it's more of a geographical thing.

Archived