North,East and West Ridings of Yorkshire

Yeah, it's confusing - Humberside as a county or administrative region is no more, but the name lingers in Humberside Police and Humberside Fire and Rescue Services - think it's more of a geographical thing.

I am not sure of the exact reasoning behind its lingering existence,but I did here one of the presenters on the radio mention that Brigg is still in Humberside , that is until the boundary change when it will revert back to Lincolnshire. Therein may be one of the reasons .

It is also interesting , in order to gain some perspective of the size of Yorkshire , that we are bordered by seven counties -all very large -as well as by the North Sea . I am given to understand that we occupy 3,889,432 acres of England and that the distance between the most westerly point of Yorkshire to the Irish Sea is only 8 miles . :roll:

I am not sure of the exact reasoning behind its lingering existence,but I did here one of the presenters on the radio mention that Brigg is still in Humberside , that is until the boundary change when it will revert back to Lincolnshire. Therein may be one of the reasons .

I think it's just a geographical term, literally meaning the area close to the Humber, but it has no official political definition. Brigg is definitely now part of Lincolnshire, I assume it also reverted back in the 90s.

Eh? Please explain.

Quite simple really !

(a). You must be one of a small minority wishing to keep the name south.

(b). It has already been said that all county boundaries are to revert to previous 1974.

©. So. Repeat again in 12 months time when it is all cut and dried.

Click! Click ! Simple .

Archived