Is the Church of England Catholic or Protestant?

Well, most Rangers fans hate ManU - while most Celtic fans like them.

True, but Georgie was a protestant wasn't he, and he's a Man. U. god. I think this is just too close to call, and perhaps we shouldn't worry about such silliness. I like Rangers, Celtic, Man. U. and Liverpool. I can't help myself. :love:

Magicwand,

Re your question pertaining to the Republic's 'official stance towards Ulster', I believe that the politicians signed away all constitutional, territorial claims on the province as part of the so-called 'Anglo-Irish Deal'. That is just as well, as they most surely could not afford to run it! Indeed, having taught many students from the Republic, the distinct impression I get is that there is precious little enthusiasm for any 'United Ireland' amongst the majority of the population. Unless, of course, they were telling me what they thought an English Protestant like myself would wish to hear.

Re the sectarian divide reflected in football club alliegance, it is part of local folklore that Liverpool and Man Utd attract most support from the Catholic communities of their respective cities, and that Everton and Man City are 'Protestant teams'. I am not entirely sure about the situation in Manchester, but in Liverpool the idea is considered very outdated. For example, I know many Protestant Liverpool fans, and the most fanatical Evertonian I have ever met [i am a Sheffielder living on Merseyside] is a Catholic friend of mine. The situation in Glasgow, as several other posters indicate, is quite different. There the alliegances appear to be fairly clear-cut indicators of the supporters' ethnic/religious identities.

Re the sectarian divide reflected in football club alliegance, it is part of local folklore that Liverpool and Man Utd attract most support from the Catholic communities of their respective cities, and that Everton and Man City are 'Protestant teams'. I am not entirely sure about the situation in Manchester, but in Liverpool the idea is considered very outdated. For example, I know many Protestant Liverpool fans, and the most fanatical Evertonian I have ever met [i am a Sheffielder living on Merseyside] is a Catholic friend of mine. The situation in Glasgow, as several other posters indicate, is quite different. There the alliegances appear to be fairly clear-cut indicators of the supporters' ethnic/religious identities.

My dear Timo, just to back up what you say regarding football and perceived religious identity particularly here in Liverpool. As I have been brought up in Liverpool, I have never known personally anybody who follows either team on religious grounds. Everton it is true started as a church football club and was originally named 'St Domingo's' but as far as I am aware if there was any religious affiliation to either club it died out a long, long time ago.

My father and mother, both Irish Catholics, have supported Everton ever since they came to the city over 60 years ago and the whole family (of 6 children) has followed their example- though sometimes I wish that I had had more of the rebel inside me!:( There are many familes that I know that have divided football loyalty here but share the same religion.

I believe Manchester is the same in some respects in that geographical location plays a part there as to who you support, plus family and peer pressure. For United it now seems religion is immaterial; apparently it necessitates a Surrey postcode, ownership of a luxury German made motor car and a salary of 100k per annum minimum!:hihi: :hihi:

Well, most Rangers fans hate ManU - while most Celtic fans like them.

Well, if it's of any help, I've always been a supporter of Celtic and Man U - and I've always hated Rangers (in a pantomime way, not seriously)

I'm not a Catholic though.... :confused:

With me, I think it's that I see them as the 'rock 'n roll' football teams :thumbsup:

StarSparkle :)

True, but Georgie was a protestant wasn't he, and he's a Man. U. god. I think this is just too close to call, and perhaps we shouldn't worry about such silliness. I like Rangers, Celtic, Man. U. and Liverpool. I can't help myself. :love:

Aaaaargh! You can't like both Celtic and Rangers!!!! :suspect:

StarSparkle :confused:

Thanks Daverity for your witty and informative post. In ten years of living on Merseyside, the only sectarianism in evidence to me is the annual Orange Day parade through Southport on the 12th July. Significantly, the marchers are largely from the poorer areas of Liverpool, Glasgow and Ulster. To be honest, the locals detest the parade, and grumble about the inconvenience to motorists, the rubbish left behind, and the rather intimidating drunken celebrations. The fish and chip shops and the pubs do a roaring trade. All except one pub, an Irish one, which is always closed and boarded up on the day.

• 8 years later...
So is the Church of England officially a form of Catholicism or Protestantism? Or is it a strange hybrid of the two, a law unto itself? I don't know myself. I always assumed it was protestant, but am now having my doubts. So on that basis I decided to "ask the audience". Please let your opinion be known!

Mr. Mystery - magic for all ages & events. Please PM for details.

The Church of England claims its order to be a valid Catholic order. However the Roman Catholic Church denies its validity (Apostolicae Curae, 1896) whilst the Roman Catholic Church acknowledges the validity of the Old Catholic Church of Utrecht, Oriental Catholic Church, the Armenian Apostolic Church as well as other churches of Eastern rite etc..

If a Roman Catholic priest wishes to become a priest within the Church of England, the Church of England does not ordain him as a priest because the Church of England recognises his priestly ordination which he had already received from a Roman Catholic bishop as a valid Catholic order. However, a Protestant minister wishes to become a priest within the Church of England, s/he must be confirmed by an Anglican bishop and must be ordained according to the rite of the Church of England. Likewise a Roman Catholic person who was already confirmed by a Roman Catholic bishop wishes to join the Church of England, s/he does not have to be confirmed by an Anglican bishop. However, s/he must officially declare that the Order of the Church of England as a valid Catholic order.

In the Church of England the sacrament is reserved in all forty-four cathedrals as the consecrated bread and wine are regarded as the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ.

Communion of saints is a belief officially supported by the Church of England as such feasts as Annunciation, Conception of Blessed Virgin Mary, Saints Peter and Paul etc. are commemorated within their calendar.

In addition to above, it is strictly forbidden by the Roman Catholic Church to worship Blessed Virgin Mary. She is only to be admired.

Act of Settlement excludes people who are in the line of succession who contracted marriage with Roman Catholics from the line of succession. However, this act does not mention about Old Catholics, the members of the Armenian Apostolic Church, of churches of Eastern rite (Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna, Princes Marina and Prince Philip) etc. the orders of which are acknowledged as valid Catholic order by the Roman Catholic Church. Technically the members of the Royal Family are allowed to marry Hindus, Buddhists et al but not Roman Catholics.

Officially the Church of England claims to possess Apostolic Succession as much as the Old Catholic Church of Utrecht does. Again, the Roman Catholic Church does not accept this claim by the Church of England whilst the Roman Catholic Church accepts that the Old Catholic Church of Utrecht's Apostolic Succession.

Interestingly, the Anglican Church in Japan calls itself the Holy Catholic Church of Japan.

In other words, the Church of England officially claims that it is one of the Catholic Churches such as the Roman Catholic Church, the Old Catholic Church, Ukrainian Catholic Church, Armenian Apostolic Church, the churches of Easter rite etc. but the Roman Catholic Church does not accept her claim and regards it as a Protestant denomination although in past the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople made a statement in which he acknowledged the validity of Anglican Order.