Shop independent local and pay more?

I have just been to my local grocer and bought four 6oz onions (I weighed them when I got home) for 66 pence. Fultons are selling bags of onions containing at least twice as many for 75 pence.

The strawberries I bought there last Saturday were mush by Sunday morning and because I didn't bother to save the liquifying mess until I could get back to the shop, I didn't get a refund.

Their loss.

Quite agree. I had to "pop" up to the Co-op on Crookes the other day. I had run out of Frosties, and Garibaldi. The Frosties were £2.55 and the Garibaldis were £1.05. Now in Tesco they are £2.09 and 89p respectively, now I am not a great fan of Tesco, but I really can't see how people can afford to shop at small local shops, including Co-op.

I do most of my shopping in Co-op and Fultons. There are no Tesco or Sainsbury in these parts! I get to know what is on offer and work around that. I used to do a weekly shop in Castle Market for perishables but ended-up throwing too much away.

Quite agree. I had to "pop" up to the Co-op on Crookes the other day. I had run out of Frosties, and Garibaldi. The Frosties were £2.55 and the Garibaldis were £1.05. Now in Tesco they are £2.09 and 89p respectively, now I am not a great fan of Tesco, but I really can't see how people can afford to shop at small local shops, including Co-op.

Co-op in crookes is widely known to be very expensive and for all their nicey nicey image, its marketing, nothing more. You could have gone to Sainsburys next door, but I'm not sure if they are any cheaper.

I have just been to my local grocer and bought four 6oz onions (I weighed them when I got home) for 66 pence. Fultons are selling bags of onions containing at least twice as many for 75 pence.

Their loss.

You have got this the wrong way around.

It does not matter if you buy it from 2 minutes away or 20 minutes away. It should be made, produced or grown locally.

Archived