Shop independent local and pay more?

I find that fresh fruit and veg at Asda is shocking,it has a shelf life of around 2-3 days at the most before it goes manky,Iv'e also found this to be the case at a lot of independant/small grocer shops.

Lidl on the other hand offers the best fresh fruit and veg and is cheaper than most other supermarkets.

Only problem is, my wife wont go to Lidl because she's a snob:D ,I have to do the shopping before she does it otherwise we end up throwing her stuff in the bin:loopy::loopy:

I recently bought 4 tins of Branstone beans for £1.50 from Pound Stretcher, I saw the exact same 4 pack in Waitwrose for £2.39; but it is nice to be able to choose. We dont always want the cheapest battery chickens or hosemeat burgers.

But what you get from local corner shops is no different. Perhaps real local butchers and green grocer are?

I recently bought 4 tins of Branstone beans for £1.50 from Pound Stretcher, I saw the exact same 4 pack in Waitwrose for £2.39; but it is nice to be able to choose. We dont always want the cheapest battery chickens or hosemeat burgers.

But what you get from local corner shops is no different. Perhaps real local butchers and green grocer are?

I worked as a Butcher for around 5-6 years prior/during the mad-cow scandall.

The stuff I saw in re-known and independent shops would make you throw up in your breakfast if you knew some of the stunts pulled.

Stuff picked up off the floor,stuff left for days then sold as fresh,frozen products sold as fresh produce,the list goes on.

Their is absolutly no waste left over in the meat trade,it just gets shoved further down the line until its Minced/dog food:gag:

How many local butchers had their shops and products tested in the recent horsemeat scandall.

Reminds me of the first series of 'the league of gentlmen'

How many local butchers had their shops and products tested in the recent horsemeat scandall.

Reminds me of the first series of 'the league of gentlmen'

When it comes down to it, people are all the same. If you can get a good shop going by buying local food, that is the right way. But if you are facing bankrupcy, small or large shops will do anything. The difference is that large shops are traders worldwide, so they cannot know where there foods and products came from. Which was one factor in the horsemeat scandal.

Local shops may get locally grown food, but local growers may be more ethical, or they may be fruitcakes getting away with what ever they can.

Are British women so fat because they don't understand what they're shoving down their throats or do they not even give a damn?

It's because the housing is too small in this country. They can have it all spick and span in an hour and sit down with ice cream in front of telly.

I blame it on Thatcher and Blu (Nu) Labour.

Why ddn't you go to Fultons then?, you've obviously been to your local shop twice in a week and were not happy the frst time but didn't bother taking them back and then not happy about price second time. The thing that strikes me is that you go there because you're too idle to make bit longer journey.

It's not shops loss it's yours, they have your money = all you have is expensive onions and inedible strawberries

• I work. The shop closes mid afternoon. Should I have held on to the strawberries for a week to prove a point? My word clearly wasn't enough.

• I didn't know Fultons had started doing onions until after I bought them from the grocers.

• It's the shop's loss of £250 a year of my money if I stop going there.

• A 'bit longer journey' to where? The nearest supermarket is Asda over two miles away and I refuse to shop there. I could get two busses to Morrisons but then it takes considerably more time and costs money.

Would you like my Postcode so that you can advise me on how to be less 'idle'?

I wonder why your comments are contemptuous. Have I written something that offends you?

Archived