Cobblestone roads in Sheffield

Shogun

I can't think of any street in Sheffield where natural rounded cobbles were used as a road surface. There are quite a few, as quoted by contributors, where man made stone/granite blocks, or setts as they were known, were laid down. No doubt there are many more concealed by tarmac.

Top end of Birkendale Road (parallel to Blake Street).

Also near the top of Barber Road, Kaye Place (which has always been cobbled), Barber Crescent (ditto) and Barber Place (where a thin layer of tarmac has nearly all worn away to reveal the cobbles).

I can't think of any street in Sheffield where natural rounded cobbles were used as a road surface. There are quite a few, as quoted by contributors, where man made stone/granite blocks, or setts as they were known, were laid down. No doubt there are many more concealed by tarmac.

When Arundel Lane was being dug up by contractors, the cobbles were being sold off by the workmen on the job which the council did absolutely nothing about, this has happened allover the city. I can remember going to work one morning and around thirty flagstones outside the General Post Office had been lifted, the next morning no sign of the flagstones but they had been replaced by the workmen with Asphalt, I waited a few days to see if they were going to be put back but the workmen left and the flags were not put back so i rang the council to complain and the very next day the Asphalt was dug up and the flags were reinstated. The flags had been sold for someones patio.

Archived