Compensation for cannabis farmers wronged by the state.

Why?

My experience of 'coffee shops' in Amsterdam have always been positive. Never any violence, great atmosphere and nice people. What's wrong with that?

You cannot compare the European cafe culture to Sheffield city centre.

I predict that somewhere like The Wicker would be the hub.

Even though there may be some working professionals that would like to go to one of the cafes, the majority of the people will be wearing baseball caps & hoodies.

In fact they would be a target for muggers, robbing people as they leave with their drugs.

Just wouldnt work.

Chavs think its clever and have less to loose by smoking it in public, doesn't mean others never smoke it, it's just that you don't see it.

---------- Post added 29-04-2013 at 00:42 ----------

Exactly! I would vote for almost anyone wanting to legalise or decriminalise the usage of cannabis.

Would that be at the expense of your personal alleigance to any particular party?

For instance, if you believed that the party you support had a chance of making a vast political difference, would you vote for the opposition because they were going to legalise cannabis?

you see how airheaded some of them are. They seem to think that the issue is so important, that they would change the habits of a lifetime and switch like from Labour to UKIP, just because Nigel is the only one that actually says they would seriously consider relaxing the cannabis laws, especially because those liberal woofties the Dutch have decided to go in the other direction.

happily the general public does not agree that is an important matter at all, and it probably comes in in about 417th place if you were to try to list all the issues about which the voting public actually cares about.

Even though there may be some working professionals that would like to go to one of the cafes, the majority of the people will be wearing baseball caps & hoodies.

In fact they would be a target for muggers, robbing people as they leave with their drugs.

Just wouldnt work.

If it works in Amsterdam, It could work in other cities. Why can't you compare the two places?

Yes you can.

If dope cafes were legal, they'd be in a wide variety of lactions.

So what? Talk about narrow minded clothing based stupidity!

Doesn't happen in Amsterdam, why do you think it would happen here?

the government of the Netherlands thinks there is quite a lot wrong with it. Which is why they have been clamping down heavily on marijuana coffee shops in the past couple of years. Believe it or not, a lot of Dutch people do not like their country being associated with a bunch of airheaded clowns walking around spliffed out of their eyeballs, in such a state that a multi-coloured bouncy beach ball looks better to them than one of their Rembrandt pictures in one of Amsterdam's superb art galleries. None of which is ever mentioned by the 'Legalise it Now!' brigade, who want to promote the notion that is only a question of when, not if, the law is liberalised and that it is this historically inevitable thing.

Have you been out at night in Amsterdam? Yes, there are areas to avoid. The red light district can be dodgy at night, other than that, it's an incredible atmosphere.

Hardly ever any violence, no big groups of meat-heads looking for a slice of violence to go with their WKD.

And, the Van Gogh museum is a perfect place to visit after a smoke. As is Anne Frank's house.

Have you been out at night in Amsterdam? Yes, there are areas to avoid. The red light district can be dodgy at night, other than that, it's an incredible atmosphere.

yes I have actually. First time I went in the late 1980s we went over on a bus-ferry from London for thirty quid return. We had a guitar with us, to busk with. The first night, somebody pulled a knife on me, looking to mug me, but I talked him out of it. You have a much too glamoruised view of places where there are a lot of people, who take drugs and use prostitutes. This is coming from somebody who smokes weed themselves, to this day.

---------- Post added 01-05-2013 at 08:39 ----------

yes it does happen in Amsterdam like it happened to me, and it can happen here too. Because that wasn't the first time, somebody had pulled a knife on me. It happened to me in Broomhall also, in the 1980s - which, by a curious coincidence, was another place where there was a lot of drug-taking and prostitution.

you guys need a reality check. This is why increasingly people in Amsterdam do not want their country associated with drugs-taking and prostitution. I have never seen any signs, showing a warning-danger of mugging, anywhere in the world, apart from Amsterdam.

Yes you can.

I know its a small minority but they are the ones that will ruin it for the rest of us.

If dope cafes were legal, they'd be in a wide variety of lactions.

So what? Talk about narrow minded clothing based stupidity!

Ive been to Amsterdam 4 times and ive never seen the dutch smashing the s**t out of each other every weekend like they do in town centres all over this country. Girls puking in the street and just general anti social behavior.

Maybe we could turn Chapel Walk into the red light district. Have girls sat in the shop windows offering sex. In your world it'll be light hearted fun and no trouble at all.

If youve been to Europe youd know that they are nothing like us.

oh man that Amsterdam 'beware of muggers' sign was so funny. I wish I'd taken a picture of it, except I did not own a camera at the time. If memory serves it was triangular (like warning signs are here), and seemed to depict a stick illustration of a woman running down the street trying to evade a knife wielding maniac.

actually a good indicator just as much as a bad one. I have been in many places where violent crime is much more of an issue than it is in Amsterdam. At least they took the trouble to inform people nonverbally, and who cannot speak or read Dutch or English to be careful round there.

Why?

My experience of 'coffee shops' in Amsterdam have always been positive. Never any violence, great atmosphere and nice people. What's wrong with that?

I can remember a stroll after a few beers in the Grasshopper walking down past a row of coffee shops and some English guy was drunk and lairy, shouting agressively at a mixed group of Germans. Two Dutch coppers appeared from nowhere and went to town on the guy, smashing his face into a brick wall repeatedly and seriously messed the guy up before throwing him (literally) into the back of the van that turned up. It's anecdotal but I think the chilled out vibe in the Dam is more do do with the fact the cops don't tolerate any trouble than weed.

Archived