Drones being operated in UK attacking Afghanistan

Of course it would, they would have used another excuse to get their hands of their resources.

The reason for the Afghanistan war.

The reason for the Iraq war.

It's too early for me to follow those links (I'll look later) but I'm not sure what the west has gained from Afghanistan. Last I heard china has all the oil rights, we got sod all. (and I'm paying £1.31 for a litre of petrol !!!!!)

Attacks being targetted from UK airbases. Should this be done? What about protests? Are we for it or against it?

Please provide a link which say the drones are being operated (not launched) from the UK:

---------- Post added 28-04-2013 at 06:07 ----------

It's a cowards weapon, pure & simple. When the western media wish's to pronounce on 'terrorists' who plant bombs they are very quick to call them cowards.

Contrast the personal risk factor of a man/woman walking into a situation with an IED, an improvised explosive device designed & constructed by someone he doesn't know, & who's skill he has no knowledge of. The bomb may blow up as he is placing it, he may be spotted & killed by armed forces. He may be beaten to death by enraged bystanders when they see what has happened. He may be apprehended after the event & spend the rest of his life in prison.

According to the popular consensus propagated by the western media he/she is a cowardly murderer.

Contrast that with the man/woman sat behind a computer screen, hundreds or even thousands of miles away from the deaths caused, without any fear of harm or retribution,apparently, according to the media these people are 'hero's' 'carrying out their duty', so that's alright then.

In my view, none of these deaths are acceptable. Both sides believe they are right & both sides are 'full of it.'

Our use of this weapon is a gift to the fanatics who hate the west. They deal in hatred & use the passion & naivety of their young people as a weapon against us.

Try & put yourself in the other mans position. It's your country & your children who are being randomly killed. Tell me you wouldn't feel like some revenge.

And which branch of the armed forces did you serve in?

Would you be prepared to put your life on the line, or are you a coward?

I used to fly bombers. It was a job. AS I became older and more senior, I became one of the people who told the bomber crews what to bomb.

That too was a job.

If - as a senior targetter - I was still doing the job I used to do some years ago and if I could now do that job by sending an unmanned system to interdict the target, I'd be rather pleased.

Or would you rather I sent some people in on the ground so that the terrorist arseholes could blow them up?

If you don't want to be targetted by the people who are now doing my job (or those who are working for the people who took my place) I can give you a really simple solution.

Put down your weapons, dig your fields and grow the food you need to survive.

If you get that bit right, then you won't have to send so many of your countrymen to live in the UK.

Trouble is, if we can use unmanned drones over there, others could use them here.

Is it an acceptable form of warfare?

Who has the capability of doing that?

---------- Post added 28-04-2013 at 08:15 ----------

It's a cowards weapon, pure & simple. When the western media wish's to pronounce on 'terrorists' who plant bombs they are very quick to call them cowards.

Contrast the personal risk factor of a man/woman walking into a situation with an IED, an improvised explosive device designed & constructed by someone he doesn't know, & who's skill he has no knowledge of. The bomb may blow up as he is placing it, he may be spotted & killed by armed forces. He may be beaten to death by enraged bystanders when they see what has happened. He may be apprehended after the event & spend the rest of his life in prison.

According to the popular consensus propagated by the western media he/she is a cowardly murderer.

Contrast that with the man/woman sat behind a computer screen, hundreds or even thousands of miles away from the deaths caused, without any fear of harm or retribution,apparently, according to the media these people are 'hero's' 'carrying out their duty', so that's alright then.

In my view, none of these deaths are acceptable. Both sides believe they are right & both sides are 'full of it.'

Our use of this weapon is a gift to the fanatics who hate the west. They deal in hatred & use the passion & naivety of their young people as a weapon against us.

Try & put yourself in the other mans position. It's your country & your children who are being randomly killed. Tell me you wouldn't feel like some revenge.

Surely unless the west continue to knock off the Taliban leaders they will eventually take over Afghanistan and probably Pakistan. If they do those countries sink back into a medieval blackness with intolerance, inequality and the triumph of a perverted religion that is cruel to women and minorities as well as intolerant of other religions.

It seems to me we kill them on their own turf before we kill them on ours.

---------- Post added 28-04-2013 at 08:21 ----------

Also, I do not regard terrorists as heroes, anyone who attacks my countries soldiers is my enemy. Anyone who supports my enemy should not be allowed to live in our society.

39 Sqn is a Royal Air Force Squadron. - Nothing to do with the USAF.

Are you claiming that 39 launched these attacks?

I am assuming that the RAF drones, which are armed have launched some attacks in Afghanistan. I'm not sure what you mean by these attacks though.

(Anticipatory post: I'm well aware that the Royal Air Force does have its own drone Sqn [No 39 Sqn]

No 39 Sqn is a Royal Air Force Squadroin and is not a part of the USAF.

---------- Post added 28-04-2013 at 10:04 ----------

if a Royal Air Force Squadron operating drones was active in Afghanistan, why do you have a problem with that?

Is that problem as big as the one you have when enemy forces in Afghanistan kill British troops?

Or is it only wrong when the (Afghanistani and their allied Pakistani) enemy get killed?

(Anticipatory post: I'm well aware that the Royal Air Force does have its own drone Sqn [No 39 Sqn]

No 39 Sqn is a Royal Air Force Squadroin and is not a part of the USAF.

---------- Post added 28-04-2013 at 10:04 ----------

if a Royal Air Force Squadron operating drones was active in Afghanistan, why do you have a problem with that?

Is that problem as big as the one you have when enemy forces in Afghanistan kill British troops?

Or is it only wrong when the (Afghanistani and their allied Pakistani) enemy get killed?

I haven't suggested that that 39 Squadron is part of the USAF, and I haven't suggested that I have any problem with their use. I just provided a link that you requested that the drones are being operated (not launched) from the UK.

Rupert Baehr. No I haven't served in the armed forces, & for a very good reason. I was fortunate enough to have lived during a period of time when my country was not under threat of invasion from a country with the capability of carrying out that threat.

In my view that is the only acceptable reason to take up arms for ANY country.

As my father served in the Army throughout the Second War & his elder brother served in the Royal Navy in the First War I believe that given their example I would have done the same had circumstances demanded.

As to traveling to foreign countries armed to the teeth & trying to impose the demands of our Government upon them, I have a problem with that as I feel it might just pee people off & result in innocents on all sides suffering.

Have you ever heard of Major General Smedley Darlington Butler of the US Marine Corp?

Recipient of two Medal of Honors & the Marine Corps Brevet Medal the highest award a Marine can receive, he had some very interesting things to say about foreign military adventures.

I don't do links but if you check him out on Wikipedia & scroll down to the section headed Lectures & read the section which is highlighted.

When people get older, that is all some do, just get older. The Major General got wiser.

Archived