Food Banks in 2013?

Well, having seen various news stories lately regarding the sudden insurgence of food banks in the UK.

Do you use them and where abouts in Sheffield are they, what criteria do you need to reach to be able to use them.

I am staggered that considering we are meant to be one of the most developed countries in the western world and the year is 2013 :loopy:

Surely in this day and age, with the entire worlds resources at our fingertips, we should have eradicated hunger and poverty decades ago.

Seams not everyone is in favour of them

Foodbank ‘will ruin our tourist industry’

Some people in Dartmouth were so opposed to the launch of a charity foodbank to help the poorest people in the town that they warned it would ruin the tourist trade.

Others claimed they would just be helping the workshy spend their money on booze.

And volunteers were warned they would have ‘down and outs’ banging on their doors at midnight.

Seams not everyone is in favour of them

Foodbank ‘will ruin our tourist industry’

Some people in Dartmouth were so opposed to the launch of a charity foodbank to help the poorest people in the town that they warned it would ruin the tourist trade.

Others claimed they would just be helping the workshy spend their money on booze.

And volunteers were warned they would have ‘down and outs’ banging on their doors at midnight.

It's called NAMBY, not in my backyard.

Well, having seen various news stories lately regarding the sudden insurgence of food banks in the UK.

Do you use them and where abouts in Sheffield are they, what criteria do you need to reach to be able to use them.

I am staggered that considering we are meant to be one of the most developed countries in the western world and the year is 2013 :loopy:

Surely in this day and age, with the entire worlds resources at our fingertips, we should have eradicated hunger and poverty decades ago.

I blame Thatcher bedders :(:(

There are several in Sheffield, anyone wanting to help can find the information here: http://www.sheffieldfoodbank.org.uk/

As well as giving out food, some food banks help people sort out benefit and debt problems. I think there will be more dependency on them as the reduction in housing benefit (nationwide) and council tax benefits (not nationwide but Sheffield is affected) hits people already on minimum survival incomes. People in the UK should have enough to live on, some obviously don't. They are the ones likely to be referred to foodbanks.

I believe you have to get a referral from a doctor or the CAB.

How long have food banks been around for? I wonder if they have become more popular since the increased media coverage. I didn't even realise that they existed until recently. I struggle to make ends meet (and I work full time) but fortunately I don't have to resort to using the food banks yet.

Archived