Food Banks in 2013?

They have a bank in Crystal Peaks mall now, got a flyer with a list of the types of food they accept...

- BREAKFAST CEREAL

- TEA BAGS

- COFFEE

- SUGAR

- UHT MILK

- MALT DRINKS

- DRINKING CHOCOLATE

- SQUASH / CORDIALS

- LONG LIFE FRUIT JUICES

- TINNED PASTA

- TINNED FISH / SEAFOOD

- TINNED COLD MEATS

- SANDWICH SPREADS

- TINNED / PACKET SOUPS / BIG SOUPS

- PACKET RICE / RICE MEALS

- PACKET NOODLES

- PACKET PASTA

- PASTA SAUCES

- PACKET PIZZA BASES

- TINNED HOT MEALS / MEALS

- TINNED PIES

- TINNED TOMATOES

- TINNED VEG

- TINNED POTATOES

- TINNED FRUIT

- TINNED / PACKET PUDDINGS

- SWEET BISCUITS

- CRACKERS / SAVOURY BISCUITS

- CRISPS, NUTS AND SNACKS

- JAMS / PRESERVES / SPREADS

- SUNDRIES

- SEASONAL TREATS

- NAPPIES

- WET WIPES

A food bank in Crystal Peaks mall.

A shopping centre - a place designed to make people spend money

A place where Sainsburys and Iceland and Marks and Spencer foodmarkets are already tenants.

Does anyone else see something very odd with this? :o I for one would be very interested so see how many of these alleged desprate food bank subscribers were there with carrier bags in their hands full of other purchases. How many of those alleged desprate subscribers would have been at Crystal Peaks anyway buying food at normal price if it wasnt for the nice subsidised service.

They have a bank in Crystal Peaks mall now, got a flyer with a list of the types of food they accept...

- BREAKFAST CEREAL

- TEA BAGS

- COFFEE

- SUGAR

- UHT MILK

- MALT DRINKS

- DRINKING CHOCOLATE

- SQUASH / CORDIALS

- LONG LIFE FRUIT JUICES

- TINNED PASTA

- TINNED FISH / SEAFOOD

- TINNED COLD MEATS

- SANDWICH SPREADS

- TINNED / PACKET SOUPS / BIG SOUPS

- PACKET RICE / RICE MEALS

- PACKET NOODLES

- PACKET PASTA

- PASTA SAUCES

- PACKET PIZZA BASES

- TINNED HOT MEALS / MEALS

- TINNED PIES

- TINNED TOMATOES

- TINNED VEG

- TINNED POTATOES

- TINNED FRUIT

- TINNED / PACKET PUDDINGS

- SWEET BISCUITS

- CRACKERS / SAVOURY BISCUITS

- CRISPS, NUTS AND SNACKS

- JAMS / PRESERVES / SPREADS

- SUNDRIES

- SEASONAL TREATS

- NAPPIES

- WET WIPES

Is it an actual food bank where people can get food from, or do you mean they are just collecting donations of the above items at Crystal Peaks?

I see now. I hold my hand up and stand corrected.

I had a feeling something was very odd about a bank being there. However, I still worry about the service generally - how many users of such a service really really need to be there.

It reminds me very much of when I dealt with the homeless services. Some people would drift in and out with perfectly good places to temporary live/stay and yet they demanded more and more At the same the real street homeless couldn't get a look in.

I only hope this whole food bank service is properly managed and checks are made - its only right it should be for those in GENUINE need and not an easy cop out for types who prefer to spend their money on less important things.

Sudden?

I live in 2 of the richest countries in the world.

There are always people in any country who will need food and who will need food banks.

Why are you surprised that there are people in Sheffield who need food?

Please help them.

Find a food bank near you and give them any spare food you've got.

Look in the back of the cupboard and if it's not out of date and you're not going to eat it, don't let it go to waste.

Please.

Or just do what they do whenever they have been in need, which i doubt, only 3 cheques away??lob it in the bin, then moan about bin collections x

• 3 months later...

According to Cameron when he answered a question from another MP, the prime minister said the main reason the use of food banks had gone up under the coalition was that the government was not trying to hide them like Labour had.

"We should work with and thank the food bank movement and the excellent work they do. We should recognise the use of food banks went up ten times under Labour," he said. :confused:

And he accused Labour of putting a "block" on job centres during its time in power from sending people to food banks - something the coalition has stopped.

Cameron said: "They didn't do it because it was bad PR, well this government is interested in doing the right thing rather than something that looks good."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/09/11/food-banks-ed-miliband-michael-gove_n_3905543.html

Archived