Ian Duncan Smith Says Wealthy should not claim pensions

Many pensioners are having to use their money to help support the younger generations of their family. They also contribute with practical help like looking after grandchildren while the parents work.

Fortunately our children both have decent careers and earn more than their dad or I did. Our pensions aren't enough that we could give them much financial support if they didn't! I help out one day a week with our youngest grandchild, and babysit occasionally. That costs nothing, only time.

I didn't see anything that said IDS wants pensioners to give up their pensions, just the add ons, like the Winter fuel allowance, and bus passes. The wealthiest pensioners will already be paying more in tax than they get from the state, and probably haven't claimed their bus passes anyway! However, I think there should be an opt out clause for WFA, so those who don't wish to have it don't get it.

My concern is that they means test everything, and only those on pension credit will qualify for the travel pass and WFA. There are many pensioners who by being frugal (not well off) have managed to put a bit into a private pension, which means they are only a little better off than if they relied solely on the state. It would be extremely unfair to penalise them for trying to be responsible in their old age.

Whenever tax avoidance is brought up, we are told that it is up to the Government to make the tax laws watertight. After all, who in their right mind would pay more tax than they absolutely have to?

We seem to have the reverse argument here. Pensioners should take a moral standpoint and only claim what they need.

When Boots, Starbucks and Vodaphone pay their way in this country, that argument might carry some weight.

Until then ....

Fortunately our children both have decent careers and earn more than their dad or I did. Our pensions aren't enough that we could give them much financial support if they didn't! I help out one day a week with our youngest grandchild, and babysit occasionally. That costs nothing, only time.

I didn't see anything that said IDS wants pensioners to give up their pensions, just the add ons, like the Winter fuel allowance, and bus passes. The wealthiest pensioners will already be paying more in tax than they get from the state, and probably haven't claimed their bus passes anyway! However, I think there should be an opt out clause for WFA, so those who don't wish to have it don't get it.

My concern is that they means test everything, and only those on pension credit will qualify for the travel pass and WFA. There are many pensioners who by being frugal (not well off) have managed to put a bit into a private pension, which means they are only a little better off than if they relied solely on the state. It would be extremely unfair to penalise them for trying to be responsible in their old age.

Pension credit is a throw back to the old means test one step away from the work house.

All the current debate about rich pensioners completly ignores the fact that if some one has one penny more income than what the Goverment consider a living amount then they can carry on struggling to the day they die.

Asking wealthy pensioners to give up their benefits? does this mean Millionaire MP'S will give up claiming expenses? Yeh! about as much chance as asking the greedy Queen to sell off some her Crown Bling to pay off the countries deficit. :suspect:

Well, you can't say you weren't warned what would happen if the tories won the 2010 election. You reap what you sow.

EDIT

Except they didn't win but rather decided to seize power and bribe the Libs to form a government ... of sorts

Well, you can't say you weren't warned what would happen if the tories won the 2010 election. You reap what you sow.

EDIT

Except they didn't win but rather decided to seize power and bribe the Libs to form a government ... of sorts

The tories wern't elected this time around because of their Thatcherite policies it was Idiot clegg's fault, P.S, this lot WON'T get back in again. Actually I'm a bit glad their in at the moment because now the younger generation can feel the same pain as we did from 1979 onwards enduring thirteen years of hell.

Maybe the rich MPs could manage without their benefits, the expenses gravy train where they claim for anything they can.

Not the same thing really though is it. Rich pensioners living in the Algarve do not require benefits such as the winter fuel allowance, while MP's need to be able to do their job.

Not the same thing really though is it. Rich pensioners living in the Algarve do not require benefits such as the winter fuel allowance, while MP's need to be able to do their job.

Load of rubbish! so that means every one in the country should have an Expense account to do their jobs.:loopy:

The tories wern't elected this time around because of their Thatcherite policies it was Idiot clegg's fault, P.S, this lot WON'T get back in again. Actually I'm a bit glad their in at the moment because now the younger generation can feel the same pain as we did from 1979 onwards enduring thirteen years of hell.

It was 18 years in total.

Archived