Ian Duncan Smith Says Wealthy should not claim pensions

What qualifies a person to be regarded as a "wealthy pensioner"

I think it would have to be self-policing. Means testing would mean another admin nightmare costing more than it saved.

But here's the thing - the people who IDS is suggesting should give up the benefits are where a lot of the core Tory vote comes from. It's brave of IDS to take on the core vote in this way but the disconnect is that his party preaches greed and self-interested individualism. The wealthy pensioners will do what is best for them right! While simultaneously moaning about benefits and the size of the state.

Don't you think it strange that all of a sudden the state pension is being called a benefit.

It used to be an entitlement.

Now the OAPs are being lumped in with scrounging benefit cheats.

Clever eh???

And you've fallen for it.

Load of rubbish! so that means every one in the country should have an Expense account to do their jobs.:loopy:

So you're saying that an MP from Dumfries and a MP from Chelmsford should receive the same amount of money? :huh:

Load of rubbish! so that means every one in the country should have an Expense account to do their jobs.:loopy:

If I work away from home my company will pay my hotel expenses....do you think I should be paying for it myself? DO you only want very rich people to be able to be in governemt 'cos it's only those that would want to or be able to afford to do the job if there were no expenses..

Another way to look at is if you don't need it don't claim it. The money you don't receive could go to pensioners who do need it.

or it could go to a bank to bail it out,

or it could got renting trees for reception areas,

or it could go to helping mp's clean their moat,

or it could go to princes to not farm their lands,

or it could go to helping big business avoid taxes,

or it coul.........(a million un-worthy causes)

or I could take it as I deserve it and do exactly what I want with it.

---------- Post added 29-04-2013 at 11:54 ----------

The thing is even when people think they aren't relying on the state they always are.

If they have legal issues the state will provide a framework for resolution

If they need to be rescued from a car crash the state will pay for it

If they need emergency care the state will pay for it, as it will for most routine care

If they want their kids to be educated the state will pay for it

If they want to drive their car on a road the state will pay for a road

If they live in a village in the back end of nowhere the state will help facilitate the provision of utilities

If they want to fly on a plane the state pays to keep the airspace safe

The list is practically endless. Everybody relies on the state.

yeah, but,

What have the romans ever done for us??

Archived