Ian Duncan Smith Says Wealthy should not claim pensions

OK for example, should someone on a an income of £50k a year get state benefits or should they be able to organise their finances appropriately enough to be able live independently?

For me the debate isn't whether or not the wealthy should claim their pension, it's at what level income should you get a state pension.

Why would someone on 50k a year get benefits:confused::confused:

have you realised that someone on 50k a year currently takes home around 33k a year,the rest goes to pay for other peoples pensions and benefits.

Why should a Dr or surgeon work for 30k a year,why should someone who's started their own business and took care to ensure jobs for others work for 30k a year,where's the incentive

and why,after paying a higher rate of tax all your life,should you be refused the same pension as someone who hasn't given a toss all their life:rant:

The thing that saddens me about this is the number of state pensioners who worked their whole lives, who accepted their state pension as they felt they had earned it but refused to claim income support and other benefits they were entitled to as they couldn't bring themselves to claim benefits. It is those people who have suffered by the bean counters subtly easing money out of the pockets of the wealthy, so as not to meet the wrath of the money grabbers

I was heartened when some wealthy people CHOSE not to claim their winter heating allowance

No wonder the government wants everybody on a private pension scheme

Another way to look at is if you don't need it don't claim it. The money you don't receive could go to pensioners who do need it.

you claim it because your entitled to it after working all your life and paying taxes.

Your ideas just encourage people not to save for retirement,but go though life with no incentive to do better so that you can get a state pension and care at the end of it:huh::huh::huh:

Why would someone on 50k a year get benefits:confused::confused:

have you realised that someone on 50k a year currently takes home around 33k a year,the rest goes to pay for other peoples pensions and benefits.

Why should a Dr or surgeon work for 30k a year,why should someone who's started their own business and took care to ensure jobs for others work for 30k a year,where's the incentive

and why,after paying a higher rate of tax all your life,should you be refused the same pension as someone who hasn't given a toss all their life:rant:

Some of the tax goes to pensions and benefits. The rest goes on hospitals, schools, policing, legal system, armed forces, transport infrastructure, local government and other spend.

About a quarter of your tax goes towards the benefits bill :)

---------- Post added 28-04-2013 at 09:55 ----------

you claim it because your entitled to it after working all your life and paying taxes.

Your ideas just encourage people not to save for retirement,but go though life with no incentive to do better so that you can get a state pension and care at the end of it:huh::huh::huh:

No, it WOULD encourage people to save for retirement if they were above a certain income level.

And they would get free healthcare anyway as things stand, that is if the Tories don't get to their endgame of a private health system funded by private insurance plans.

Why would someone on 50k a year get benefits:confused::confused

Someone who has a pension of £50k a year will get a state pension, which is a benefit.

---------- Post added 28-04-2013 at 09:57 ----------

So you believe that state benefits should be about entitlement rather than need?

Someone who has a pension of £50k a year will get a state pension, which is a benefit.

Did he get an option when he paid into the scheme?

Perhaps the State Pension should be voluntary.

I'll gladly forgo my pension if you will pay me back my contributions (plus those of my employer) corrected for inflation, less the amount (including NHS costs) I've claimed from the system during my life. (Paid in 1968 - 2004)

I've had a total of 47 quid in benefits during my life. (I didn't get 'family benefit' because they said it wasn't payable to the male and my wife was a [non - EU] foreigner.)

I've never used the NHS.

I've never had any other benefit.

I should be entitled to a few bob by now!

Archived