Ian Duncan Smith Says Wealthy should not claim pensions

No, it WOULD encourage people to save for retirement if they were above a certain income level.

And they would get free healthcare anyway as things stand, that is if the Tories don't get to their endgame of a private health system funded by private insurance plans.

But It wouldnt encourage people to save,it encourages people to spend all their savings before retirement,the less you have -the more you get for free, by your methods:suspect:

Did he get an option when he paid into the scheme?

Perhaps the State Pension should be voluntary.

I'll gladly forgo my pension if you will pay me back my contributions (plus those of my employer) corrected for inflation, less the amount (including NHS costs) I've claimed from the system during my life. (Paid in 1968 - 2004)

I've had a total of 47 quid in benefits during my life. (I didn't get 'family benefit' because they said it wasn't payable to the male and my wife was a [non - EU] foreigner.)

I've never used the NHS.

I've never had any other benefit.

I should be entitled to a few bob by now!

As you know your contributions paid the pensions of those claiming, as well as all the costs of running the country. If you're wealthy enough to live comfortably without state help, why should you get it?

Why should it be considered differently to any other benefit paid by the state?

So your saying get rid of the state pension for everyone,if someone who's worked all their lives cant have it,why should someone who's sat on their arse doing nothing get it,after receiving free handouts all their lives from the person who's gone to work and payed taxes:huh:

Someone who has a pension of £50k a year will get a state pension, which is a benefit.

---------- Post added 28-04-2013 at 09:57 ----------

So you believe that state benefits should be about entitlement rather than need?

A state pension is normally based on contributions made but everyone over pensionable age is entitled but the people of pensionable age now will have worked at some point during their lives and the ones that haven't wouldn't be as many as you think - I have worked with very little breaks since I left school in 1966 but I need to carry on working because I have a lifestyle I want to preserve ie keeping car on road and caravan on site both of which would have to go if I only had my pension. The up and coming generation have lost the work ethic - it saddens me to see this

Did he get an option when he paid into the scheme?

Perhaps the State Pension should be voluntary.

I'll gladly forgo my pension if you will pay me back my contributions (plus those of my employer) corrected for inflation, less the amount (including NHS costs) I've claimed from the system during my life. (Paid in 1968 - 2004)

I've had a total of 47 quid in benefits during my life. (I didn't get 'family benefit' because they said it wasn't payable to the male and my wife was a [non - EU] foreigner.)

I've never used the NHS.

I've never had any other benefit.

I should be entitled to a few bob by now!

If you claimed benefits you were eligible for you would get them so why are you moaning when you have chosen not to claim them. Nice little straw man you created for yourself there.

If you're wealthy enough to live comfortably without state help, why should you get it?

Most wealthy people have paid much more in taxes than the likes of myself, so they deffinately deserve to claim it.

Its the poor that have paid very little in, that seem to get the most.

I know that when I get older, I will be generous to my family, and then the state will pay my rent and many other things.

Most wealthy people have paid much more in taxes than the likes of myself, so they deffinately deserve to claim it.

Its the poor that have paid very little in, that seem to get the most.

I know that when I get older, I will be generous to my family, and then the state will pay my rent and many other things.

me too,get rid of it quick before it gets noticed,otherwise some fat sponging scrubber with 7 kids to 7 different people will get the benefits of my hard earned working life,while I have nothing to show other than experience:suspect:

But It wouldnt encourage people to save,it encourages people to spend all their savings before retirement,the less you have -the more you get for free, by your methods:suspect:

Why would somebody earn £50k a year and spend it all before retirement so they can subsist on a meagre state benefit, perhaps for 30 years or more, when they retired? I guess I can think of a few answers:

1. They're idiots

2. They have no financial planning skills

3. Money runs through their fingers like water. Why put a few bob aside for the future when you can have a new hot tub today.

The reality is that anybody with a decent income and anything between their ears will be saving something for their future.

me too,get rid of it quick before it gets noticed,otherwise some fat sponging scrubber with 7 kids to 7 different people will get the benefits of my hard earned working life,while I have nothing to show other than experience:suspect:

Would you seriously forgo a £50K a year pension so you'd ensure that you'd get your state pension? Wow!

Archived