Ian Duncan Smith Says Wealthy should not claim pensions

Interesting that Iain Duncan Smyth implores richer pensioners to search their consciences & hand the money back if they don't need it.

Did Duncan-Smyth say to himself when he had his £40 breakfast on expenses, hmmm I could go to MacDonalds and get a cheaper breakfast & save the taxpayer money.

Nor does he ask disabled people to search their consciences & decide whether they could work, or decide whether to attend the ATOS interview.....

The Title of this thread is very misleading, from what Ive read He states that "Wealthy Elderly people who do not need Benefits to help with Fuel Bills,Tv Licences or Free Travel, should return the Money. Where does he say they should not claim Pensions.

He's talking about the Fringe Benefits the Pensioners get not their Pensions.

A good example would be wealthy Pensioners now living abroad in hot countries and still recieving the Winter Fuel allowance, which is meant for Pensioners who need extra Money to keep warm.

I may have got this wrong but can anyone point me to a link that actually says IDS is asking Wealthy Pensioners not to claim Pensions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22327335

The Title of this thread is very misleading, from what Ive read He states that "Wealthy Elderly people who do not need Benefits to help with Fuel Bills,Tv Licences or Free Travel, should return the Money. Where does he say they should not claim Pensions.

A good example would be wealthy Pensioners now living abroad in hot countries and still recieving the Winter Fuel allowance, which is meant for Pensioners who need extra Money to keep warm.

I may have got this wrong but can anyone point me to a link that actually says IDS is asking Wealthy Pensioners not to claim Pensions.

Nope, I think you have got it right.

wealthy pensioners living abroad in warmer countries should not get this allowance. i wonder why the gov is taking to long in stopping this :huh:

wealthy pensioners living abroad in warmer countries should not get this allowance. i wonder why the gov is taking to long in stopping this :huh:

The cost involved in means testing it would be greater than any saving they could make, so it’s cheaper to just give it to all pensioners.

The cost involved in means testing it would be greater than any saving they could make, so it’s cheaper to just give it to all pensioners.
the gov know how much you have earnt in the past, they know how much you have in the bank, they know how much pension you get. all this talk about costs it would take to do this is a red herring mate.

Archived