Ian Duncan Smith Says Wealthy should not claim pensions

the gov know how much you have earnt in the past, they know how much you have in the bank, they know how much pension you get. all this talk about costs it would take to do this is a red herring mate.

In that case they can save even more money by sacking all the paper shufflers in the benefits department.

wealthy pensioners living abroad in warmer countries should not get this allowance. i wonder why the gov is taking to long in stopping this :huh:

because its a universal benefit and until it is not, there is nothing any government can do about it.

Its not right, but its how the system was setup. Personally I feel ALL benefits should be means tested. This includes child benefit, pensions and even bus passes and TV licenses.

the gov know how much you have earnt in the past, they know how much you have in the bank, they know how much pension you get. all this talk about costs it would take to do this is a red herring mate.

Unfortunately all this information is held on different computer systems which, in all likelihood, are incompatible. The costs of integration of all government computer systems, all banking systems for all banks plus the cost of passing legislation to force banks to reveal how much people own would be prohibitive and probably exceed any savings made.

For instance, I know of one bank's IT system where it was only in the last year or so that they had some form of integration between the mortgages, savings, investment and insurance databases. This within one bank, imagine trying to have a common system across all banks!

Unfortunately all this information is held on different computer systems which, in all likelihood, are incompatible. The costs of integration of all government computer systems, all banking systems for all banks plus the cost of passing legislation to force banks to reveal how much people own would be prohibitive and probably exceed any savings made.

For instance, I know of one bank's IT system where it was only in the last year or so that they had some form of integration between the mortgages, savings, investment and insurance databases. This within one bank, imagine trying to have a common system across all banks!

Part of universal credit is real time reporting to HMRC by employers and banks. Unfortunately that bit of the system has serious problems.

because its a universal benefit and until it is not, there is nothing any government can do about it.

Its not right, but its how the system was setup. Personally I feel ALL benefits should be means tested. This includes child benefit, pensions and even bus passes and TV licenses.

erm gov can change things quick enough when it suits them :hihi:

Archived