Train travel and discrimination

No, they need to have paid in a certain ammount of tax/NI; where as everyone over a certain age gets a bus pass, but not everyone gets a state pension.

And 25 year olds that get a discount card?

State provides a pension, state provides free travel, state provides subsidised heating, state provides free telly.

What's the difference? Why do you think one is unfair discrimination but not the others?

State provides a pension, state provides free travel, state provides subsidised heating, state provides free telly.

What's the difference? Why do you think one is unfair discrimination but not the others?

The pension is paid for by NI or other taxes, all the others could well be classed as discrimination, if its a public service.

---------- Post added 28-04-2013 at 17:08 ----------

Age discrimination is unfairly treating people differently because of their age.

It cannot be classed as discrimination because when you meet the required criteria you will qualify. It's not IF it's WHEN.

But I might never get to be that old :loopy:

My father in law died at 63 years old, he'd paid NI contributions since leaving school, he never got to draw his pension. S**T happens. Just because some people might not reach pensionable age it doesn't make it discrimination.

Its is illegal to discriminate on the grounds of age, in the provision of public services.

So why do pensioners get a free bus pass, and 16-25 year olds can get a travel card for £28 that allows them less than half price travel on trains; and under 16 get half fare.

Railways are a public service, they get subsidised by tax payers money.

1 Government introduced and subsidise the bus scheme. Local authorities

have in some cases chosen to pay for extras like local trains and a 9am start.

2 The 16-25 Railcard save 1/3 on many but not all rail fares.

3 Train operating companies (TOCs) do not provide a public service and are businesses operated to make a profit. Like many businesses they offer discounts to create a demand eg loyalty/discount cards/points, sales, club/union/job membership benefits, etc

Apart from one exception*, one TOC will set the standard season/single fare between two points on the same route and the other TOCs on that route will charge that. However each TOC is then commercially free to attract business by offering discounts eg savers, two for one, over 55, advance, free meals etc. to create a demand when there is an over supply of seats.

Railcards for families/older/younger etc travellers gets them off the peak/rush hour services and onto the underused midday, evening, weekend and BH services.

*SailRail

Just because some people might not reach pensionable age it doesn't make it discrimination.

From what I have searched, it seems that the Government has said that age discrimination is illegal, except for quite a lot of areas where they allow it.

So its quite daft, the things that businesses cannot discriminate against is things like not being allowed into a night club when you are older. :loopy:

You might have a point if the train companies were refusing travel based on age, but they're not, they're simply offering a discount to certain demographic groups, which anyone can become a member of.

Simple answer, get yourself some children and then you can get a family railcard.

Oh, this makes a change, someone on Sheffield Forum complaining that some people are getting something that they're not. What ever next? :rolleyes:

I wasnt really too bothered about that. Just that if the law says that you must not discriminate, and then they do discriminate.

Before I reached the age of 50, when I searched for council houses, it would say that theses houses are suitable for families, and other houses for those aged over 50 or 55.

What should a single fourty something do, live on the street? They should not put people into groups, because that leaves some out.

Archived