Does God Exist?

You see, what you are doing now is constructing your own philosophy around your own personal likes and dislikes.

I guess that's because I can't believe in a supernatural being who runs a protection racket as being a benevolent loving god. Many of my atheist friends if they believed wouldn't bow down and worship God even if they had evidence of him, They'd be worshiping a jealous murderous tyrant which would only vindicate his terror.

I can believe in the teachings of Jesus. I do my damnedest to treat everyone with the respect they deserve. I don't harm anyone, lie, steal or cheat. If I blow my own trumpet then I'm a bloody moral person. I don't need a reward of an afterlife in an eternal paradise or the threat of everlasting non existence to keep me on the straight and narrow.

It saddens me because I wanted to believe in something bigger than me, that's why I took up bible study. But the God of the bible isn't something I can believe in, he has too many human hangups.

I drive my OH to a graveyard every Sunday, her Sister is buried there. She sometimes asks me to sit in the car and not accompany her. She returns about half an hour later and tells me that she has been chatting with her sister. Is she wrong?

I drive my OH to a graveyard every Sunday, her Sister is buried there. She sometimes asks me to sit in the car and not accompany her. She returns about half an hour later and tells me that she has been chatting with her sister. Is she wrong?

Yes, she should use public transport.

I wondered if someone would.:)

Well it was a silly question. Wrong? Wrong about what? If she wants to chat to her sister she's totally free to do so. Which brings me to your previous post:

I am not a religious man, but I have never had problems with people who have beliefs unless their beliefs condemn, exclude and dismiss others. Christianity does not do that.

Have you actually read the Bible? Or the Qur'an for that matter? There is two perfect examples of excluding and dismissing, or even threatening, others for their beliefs.

Atheists might be annoying in that we might ask for evidence, laugh at or even "dismiss" arguments for god. But the atheists I know, including those I don't that post here, certainly don't condemn or dismiss the people's rights to those beliefs. In fact I respect our secular freedoms so much that as soon as there is a whiff of an attack on a religious believer to hold his/her beliefs, or your OH to talk to her sister, I'll stand in protest alongside the believer.

By the way, did you notice the news today where the Pope has declared war against our secular freedoms?

Well it was a silly question. Wrong? Wrong about what? If she wants to chat to her sister she's totally free to do so. Which brings me to your previous post:

Have you actually read the Bible? Or the Qur'an for that matter? There is two perfect examples of excluding and dismissing, or even threatening, others for their beliefs.

Atheists might be annoying in that we might ask for evidence, laugh at or even "dismiss" arguments for god. But the atheists I know, including those I don't that post here, certainly don't condemn or dismiss the people's rights to those beliefs. In fact I respect our secular freedoms so much that as soon as there is a whiff of an attack on a religious believer to hold his/her beliefs, or your OH to talk to her sister, I'll stand in protest alongside the believer.

By the way, did you notice the news today where the Pope has declared war against our secular freedoms?

Sorry. I am afraid that I have run out of Blue Peter badges. :cool:

I guess that's because I can't believe in a supernatural being who runs a protection racket as being a benevolent loving god. Many of my atheist friends if they believed wouldn't bow down and worship God even if they had evidence of him, They'd be worshiping a jealous murderous tyrant which would only vindicate his terror.

I can believe in the teachings of Jesus. I do my damnedest to treat everyone with the respect they deserve. I don't harm anyone, lie, steal or cheat. If I blow my own trumpet then I'm a bloody moral person. I don't need a reward of an afterlife in an eternal paradise or the threat of everlasting non existence to keep me on the straight and narrow.

It saddens me because I wanted to believe in something bigger than me, that's why I took up bible study. But the God of the bible isn't something I can believe in, he has too many human hangups.

I was fortunate, I had a good Father who wasn't any of those things and I don't know any Fathers who are like that with their children. The only protection racket they might run is to protect their children from harm and although I didn't 'worship' him, I did love him.

Edited by Grahame

You were talking about male priests and male children. Your understanding of the Ten Commandments is zero and you know what, I'm not wasting my time on you.

Commandments are commandments. Any that are ambiguous enough to require 'understanding' (aka Grahame's interpretation of them) are not worthy of the name.

I can't believe this thread id still going!!

There should have only been 1 reply which read........NO & there isn't any proof. End of story!

God only knows why it persists.

:huh:

...er...

:suspect: