Does God Exist?

As regards the existance of a creator then yes and the proof is that we are here.

Theres a god cause we're here? Convenient answer and not really proof.

And thats your opinion isnt it. Not a booming voice from the sky.

Thats my point.

Theres a god cause we're here? Convenient answer and not really proof.

And thats your opinion isnt it. Not a booming voice from the sky.

Thats my point.

The answer is on post 2, so don't expect "a booming voice from the sky"

Hi Clownshoes. What would you accept as a proof? The idea that there's a universal truth that every right minded person would accept is fraught with problems. In a highly intellectual and precise subject like advanced mathematics for example, some proofs are accepted because they seem to answer every known aspect of the problem, to human consciousness anyway. Is that the sort of proof you want for your question about God?

An aspect of the assertion that God exists is this: who or what made the universe? What does science say about that? You say there is no evidence God exists and again I wonder what you mean exactly. To exist, within your concept of what that means, how would the person or object have to manifest itself?

I think God made the universe, and probably many others, through the laws of physics, which He also made. These laws are dictated by a few universal constants of nature but we just don't know how their values come to be what they are. So science doesn't actually explain even the most fundamental things in physics but just relates things to each other. Asking if God exists is to expect an answer to the question where and how do these fundamental constants come about. We are in a sense waiting for a genius to tell us the answer. And its the same sort of thing as asking who or what made the universe. Whatever you believe, it's an act of faith.

Edited by woolyhead
omissions

Born as an Irish roman catholic and all my schools were catholic, one of which was a De la Salle school. I am well versed in Catholicism and pretty much know the bible word for word.

But early in my adult years i came to the conclusion that god was created by man is a pretty archaic theory on the universe & the creation of life.

Now i agree faith is a wonderful thing and no one wants to believe that there is nothing after we die but science has explained a lot of what people believed were acts of god.

There is not one piece of evidence that god exists and people are going to war over it but im not sure that the world would be a better place without religion anyway.

I mean hardened Catholics believe that the world was created in 7 days & that the world is only 5000 years old. And the story of Noah getting 2 of every animal on the arc just sounds ludicrous.

It applies to all religions not just Catholicism.

Does anyone have proof cause id love to hear it?

Once the god experts start you will regret starting this thread as the arguments and posts will get longer and more complicated for normal human beings to understand.

Oh my god just realised what I have done!

What would you accept as a proof? The idea that there's a universal truth that every right minded person would accept is fraught with problems. In a highly intellectual and precise subject like advanced mathematics for example, some proofs are accepted because they seem to answer every known aspect of the problem, to human consciousness anyway. Is that the sort of proof you want for your question about God?

An aspect of the assertion that God exists is this: who or what made the universe? What does science say about that?

I think God made it, through the laws of physics, which He also made. These laws are dictated by a few universal constants of nature but we just don't know how their values come to be what they are. So science doesn't actually explain even the most fundamental things in physics but just relates thing to each other. Asking if God exists is to expect an answer to the question where and how do these fundamental constants come about. We are in a sense waiting for a genius to tell us the answer. And its the same sort of thing as asking who or what made the universe. Whatever you believe, it's an act of faith.

So with so many religions, gods & beliefs.

Which one is the right one?

"god" is everything... and that is just, that...

We as a race created religion for whatever reason, usually because something happened that was unbelieveable at the time, and stories were told, and when one person tells a story to another and another and so-on, things get changed and exaggerated...

Just think, the whole thing may be what some slave made up (a story) to keep himself sane through tough times, told some of the other slaves, was over heared by someone higher up (prison guard or equivalent type person) who then took it on themselves to become a leader of this "god" by convincing other people of the existence (or possible existence) then once a few people believed, and something amazing or great happened, it was put down to this "god" as there was no other explanation...

Then, as we progressed, and became smarter, odd people formed their own opinions on how such things could happen... and so on...

So, by the pure and simple fact that "god" (and as a result, religion) was created by us as a race (us as a whole) then is not "god" each of us in some way?

Same as other religions? Which religions refer to maths and physics? A religion doesn't have to have a name, does it? If you really need a name how about Flashstarter? Now you're asking which religion is the right one. This sort of question tries to assert that the problem is very simple when actually it isn't. There's no simple answer. To reapply my original answer to your question, what do you mean by the word "right"? Right for you, universally right for everyone, what?

Edited by woolyhead