Does God Exist?

... And if God created me, why did he make me an atheist?

For the sake of argument if we accept that God is a supreme supernatural entity that transcends time and space, and is the creator of the Universe and everything in it then it follows that God has no belief in a being superior to himself (if he did it would lead to the absurdity of an infinite regression of Gods), so we must therefore conclude that God is in fact an atheist (strangely, from a Christian theists viewpoint, being an atheist God doesn't belong in heaven).

Anyhow's, if we follow this line of reasoning with frequent checks into our Godly given handbook of 'How to be a good person' we discover that we should strive to be like God, we are encouraged to find that divine spark within ourselves and to nurture our spirituality in an on-going quest to emulate his thinking and his actions. In other words the hidden agenda of religion is to make us into atheists.

Given that the end goal is to be an atheist, and we start out as atheists, then why bother with all the religion in between? Surely the simplest route is to do away with God and religion as totally unnecessary and stick with what nature has already imbued in us at birth, non-belief.

jb

Edited by barleycorn

For the sake of argument if we accept that God is a supreme supernatural entity that transcends time and space, and is the creator of the Universe and everything in it then it follows that God has no belief in a being superior to himself (if he did it would lead to the absurdity of an infinite regression of Gods), so we must therefore conclude that God is in fact an atheist (strangely, from a Christian theists viewpoint, being an atheist God doesn't belong in heaven).

Anyhow's, if we follow this line of reasoning with frequent checks into our Godly given handbook of 'How to be a good person' we discover that we should strive to be like God, we are encouraged to find that divine spark within ourselves and to nurture our spirituality in an on-going quest to emulate his thinking and his actions. In other words the hidden agenda of religion is to make us into atheists.

Given that the end goal is to be an atheist, and we start out as atheists, then why bother with all the religion in between? Surely the simplest route is to do away with God and religion as totally unnecessary and stick with what nature as already imbued in us a birth, non-belief.

jb

That is brilliant :hihi:

I think it’s pretty nuts that we accommodate the practising of all religions full-stop. We should have packed it in 100 years ago when science showed us that it’s a load of baloney.

That Welby fella seems like a decent chap but I find it hard to take seriously anyone who believes in a magic man up in the sky.

I can't speak for all atheists, but many of them simply don't have a choice either way. Children get preference at the school in their catchment area and less of a chance in other schools. If their catchment area school is a faith school then their chances are severely reduced of getting into any other school. Obviously individual circumstances differ with their chances of getting into other schools but that is the gist of the admissions criteria. About one third of all state schools in England are faith schools. Some are bound to be unable to avoid it.

Obviously some people who don't believe think that if the school is good then the 'trade off' is worth it. Again though, I can't speak for all atheists but I would strongly disagree unless the children are allowed to leave the room before any prayers or indoctrination of any other kind.

---------- Post added 29-04-2013 at 22:06 ----------

Yes, and religion does a terrible job at that because it suggests that such ideas of 'right' and 'wrong' are fixed in place by the divine, rather than human concepts to be engaged with and critically analysed and even amended.

Sorry. You either misunderstand me or I have explained myself wrongly . I am not saying that religion tells us what is " right and wrong " , all be it that the basic tenet is there . What I am saying is what society accepts as being right and wrong , out of respect for all the members of that society . So that it can function as one unit , and not alienate or reject any one member of that society.

Yes I can understand those concerns. I will acknowledge that religion can be damaging when power is in the wrong hands, when it is misinterpreted and when it produces those unhealthy destructive and misguided effects of fanaticisms.But I truly believe that religion can (and does) provide good positive messages that far outweigh the alternative of those negative parts.

Well said Janie48. I agree with you. I found God all by myself, not through the church but through physics. Once you get into maths or physice you begin to see that there's so much that must be more than just a coincidence in nature. It's as if something organised it to be so. One example is the large scale organisation of molecules where there is no known way they could have organised themselves. The interesting question about this is "where's the blueprint?" My favourite quotethough is from quantum physics in which a pair of entangled photons (for example) will influence each other in zero time however far apart they might be, even on opposite sides of the universe. It's a tested fact that they will do this but nobody knows the reason, the actual mechanism. Similarly maths is full of fascinating reletionships which raise all sorts of unanswered questions which in all probability never will be answered.

If you should ask me how such things led me to God I'd have to admit I don't know. But they did.

---------- Post added 30-04-2013 at 20:46 ----------

Care to give examples of those problems in modern day life?

Hi janie48. I'm sorry but my reply to you seems to have gone astray somehow. Hopefully it will be picked up by our intrepid controller and re posted correctly. Oh! It's suddenly popped up all by itself. Thanks control.

Edited by woolyhead

Well said Janie48. I agree with you. I found God all by myself, not through the church but through physics. Once you get into maths or physice you begin to see that there's so much that must be more than just a coincidence in nature. It's as if something organised it to be so. One example is the large scale organisation of molecules where there is no known way they could have organised themselves. The interesting question about this is "where's the blueprint?" My favourite quotethough is from quantum physics in which a pair of entangled photons (for example) will influence each other in zero time however far apart they might be, even on opposite sides of the universe. It's a tested fact that they will do this but nobody knows the reason, the actual mechanism. Similarly maths is full of fascinating reletionships which raise all sorts of unanswered questions which in all probability never will be answered.

If you should ask me how such things led me to God I'd have to admit I don't know. But they did.

Google 'Argument by personal incredulity'

Atheism is entirely based off logical fallacies or false assumptions.

argument from ignorance:

"There's no evidence God exists, so God doesn't exist"

"You can't prove God exists, so God cannot exist"

"Lack of evidence that God exists indicates that the existence of God is unlikely"

"Only what the current evidence at the present time indicates is the truth"

argument from personal incredulity:

"Do you really believe there's an invisible man, sky-daddy, etc...?"

"It sounds like religion is a fantasy, fictional, a myth, made up"

non-sequitur:

"Well I don't believe in Zeus, an Invisible Pink Unicorn, Santa Claus, etc...so God must not exist"

"I see no reason to believe in Thor, Zeus, Santa Claus, etc...so I see no reason to believe in God"

"I don't believe in Zeus, Thor, Santa Claus, etc...so I don't believe in God"

"There's no evidence Zeus, Santa Claus, the tooth-fairy, etc.., exists and there's also no evidence that God exists, so God must not exist"

"If God really existed, then there would be no more suffering in the world, only good things would happen"

:rolleyes: