Does God Exist?

Still throwing logical fallacies around I see.

Red Herrings in this case.

Has nothing to do with the topic.

Ah Fisky my old friend.

On a different thread I asked you some questions which you avoided, and avoided, and then claimed you didn't have much time and this was the reason you hadn't addressed them and you would do so in the future.

Well seen as you're back, and as it's a totally appropriate thread to repost the questions on would you mind answering these little gems for me?

1. Why does the explanation of multiple Gods have to be 'harder' or more complex than the explanation of one God?

2. Why does the explanation of one God with separate 'attributes' or personas like the Christian, or Hindu God have to be 'harder' or more complex than the explanation of one God?

3. Can you explain one God?[/Quote]

mikebatty

I hope your lack of response is due to your digesting the points I've put forward before composing a reply rather than the borderline esque trait of running away instead of addressing points that you can't answer instead of just acknowledging 'I don't know'.

You can use whatever argument you wish.

Thank you

What right do you claim to decide who is right and who is wrong ?

I didn't

How dare you question what someone else believes ?

I didn't.

What gives you the right to assume a superior knowledge or belief over anyone else ?

No idea what you are onabout.

Why do you feel that you have to denigrate someone else's faith or belief in order to try and justify your own argument ?

I didn't

Is it perhaps because you are looking for an answer to your own question ?

I have the answers already.

If so . Why don't you read the most popularly read book , close your mind to other comments and use your reasoning and understanding .

I have, it was very contradictory and unbelievable.

Quite illuminating when you shut out the garbage which doubters throw in to trip up .

Good reading !

I didn't think so.

PaliRichard explains it better than me, thankyou PaliRichard.:)

Edited by MrSmith

The bold bit.

I agree, I don't understand this either, but I maintain that I respect 'I don't know' far more than 'I have proof' then running away when asked to quantify that proof.

'I don't know', and 'I acknowledge that difficulty' are far more honest answers than trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Science contradicts some of my religion, I have to accept that, but the core element as a psychological philosophy, and practice, make a lot of sense to me. I'm not going to pretend the bits that don't make sense are true because of that, but by the same token I'm not going to abandon the bits that do work.

The advantage of my religion is that it doesn't claim to be 'the truth' as the Theistic ones do (in fact ultimately we are told all concepts of the 'religion' are not the truth), so from that perspective I don't have to make an excuse when difficulties arise for me, it is just something else to analyse.

You know, Richard, I'd love to get together with you some time and have a good old yarn about that religion of yours ... I have so much to learn - particularly about the meditation side of things!

Edited by Lockjaw

You know, Richard, I'd love to get together with you some time and have a good old yarn about that religion of yours ... I have so much to learn - particularly about the meditation side of things!

You can practice meditation without the religious aspect. Buddhism is a path to a particular goal, meditation is one element of that path and can be easily utilized independently from it (obviously I would say the 'whole package' is more beneficial though).

I would be more than happy to meet up with you, could make a night of it and take a couple of guitars and intermingle chat with a bit of a jam.

Edited by PaliRichard

'I don't know', and 'I acknowledge that difficulty' are far more honest answers than trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. .

These are the answers of a true scientist; especially when followed by "The evidence I have makes me think that...." and by "Let's try and decide what we can do to find out"

I don't think any scientist can claim to know "how the Universe came to be".

There;s a lot of evidence that there may have been a time when all its substance was in a tiny volume, and expanding very fast. But scientists do not argue from the works of Aristotle or Ptolemy; they do two sorts of experiment, the "observation experiment" where things can be conrolled and observed, and the "thought experiment" where we think about what we can observe.