Does God Exist?

Actually I owe you an apology, you did answer.

What you said you didn't have time to answer were not the questions but my response to them, which you said you would reply to at a later date.

So as this is said later date would you mind replying to the points I made?

Btw I am genuinely sorry for my mistake, I know I push people but I equally like to acknowledge where I am in the wrong.

Yes- you do no doubt push for answers/clarifications, which is fine to some extent, but not when there is little more one can say.

Can you remind me what it was you specifically wanted me to try and answer or expand on as I thought (as you agree) I did.

BTW I am making plans for a week end trip so if I don't get chance to add anything to your prospective post I will do so when possible.

Edited by Guest
addition

Yes- you do no doubt push for answers/clarifications, which is fine to some extent, but not when there is little more one can say.

Can you remind me what it was you specifically wanted me to try and answer or expand on as I thought (as you agree) I did.

BTW I am making plans for a week end trip so if I don't get chance to add anything to your prospective post I will do so when possible.

I think it was this (but I'm sure there would be a number of unanswered questions if I did a thorough enough search) http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=9389052&postcount=537

You did attempt to answer if I recall by making some dismissive comment about chance but it was hardly satisfactory. You seem to have a habit of being busy then forgetting to answer when you come back which makes it somewhat difficult to keep track. Anyway we'll see how you go on this time.

Billions of people believe in it. Some have experienced the transcendence of god[...therefore god exists]

Ah, so there's your argument.

Well ok, that is valid, it's still not true, because it's not sound. Let's break it down.

'Billions of people believe in it'

That parts irrelevant, billions of people have believed all sorts of wrong things, you and I included I'm sure. Your conclusion does not follow from this.

'Some have experienced the trancendence of god'

Here's the part that makes it valid, if this part is true, then your conclusion does follow. However this part contains all sorts of problems. People have experienced all sorts of things, mutually exclusive things, Hindus never have visions of Jesus, Christians never have visions of Vishnu. Why is this? It cannot possibly be the case that Hinduism and Christianity are both true, the simplest conclusion is that what they are experiencing is a product of their minds, and not something that is actually there.

So, seeing as this premise is not true, your argument is not sound, and even though it is valid, it's still not true, sorry.

---------- Post added 18-05-2013 at 00:17 ----------

Some have experienced what they believe to be the transcendence of god.

That would be the appropriate correction to that premise, and of course, with that, the argument is no longer valid.

Because it is[/Quote]

On what premise, come on don't play games. You said God existed and when asked why said because it was a valid conclusion.

Is it a conclusion arrived at by personal experience? Philosophy? Scientific analysis?

---------- Post added 23-05-2013 at 18:23 ----------

See my last response to you, especially this bit

You seem to have a habit of being busy then forgetting to answer when you come back[/Quote]

It appears to have happened again, coincidence?

• 6 years later...
30 minutes ago, Box11 said:

With everything going on in the world today does God care enough to help us if so what is he or she waiting for......

Just a thought in these very trying times.....

That's a difficult and reasonable question.

My answer has to be yes, because that's what I believe but we're talking about faith here, no matter what name you give to God, it's a matter of personal faith.  I have a right to my personal beliefs, as everyone else has.

Maybe he's not waiting, maybe we already have the answer but need to come to realise it.  I don't have all, or perhaps even any of the answers, and others, within their rights, can say my faith is illogical, or even stupid but I don't think it's blind because every day I witness little miracles that I want to thank God for.  I admit it's difficult and challenging at this present time but that faith is still there.  It's an horrific time but there's still so much good in the world.