Wooden blocks in Rock Lane?

Texas

I've just been reading the thread about cobblestone/set roads in Sheffield. It reminded me of Rock Lane which ran from Andover St (opposite the white house chipshop) to Montfort Rd, parallel with Rock St. Am I right in thinking it was laid with wooden blocks? It was an unadopted thoroughfare with lots of grass between the blocks.

I've just been reading the thread about cobblestone/set roads in Sheffield. It reminded me of Rock Lane which ran from Andover St (opposite the white house chipshop) to Montfort Rd, parallel with Rock St. Am I right in thinking it was laid with wooden blocks? It was an unadopted thoroughfare with lots of grass between the blocks.

Usually wooden blocks were used near hospitals and such so as the iron rims of cart wheels didnt make to much noise.

i think on this picture of rock lane they look like cobbles

http://www.europeana.eu/portal/record/09405a2/11415CCD4D6211BDA9C590D22C604F766EABE6E4.html

I agree the surface looks like sets or cobbles but it doesn't look like Rock Lane either. As I remember it there wasn't much of a slope and the houses were tidier than those in the picture. The slope in the picture is quite pronounced.

My Grandad and great Grandad and all my Dads family lived on Montfort Road many years ago, I was shocked to find out that the whole family had lived there for years and I never knew anything about it. they are even buried in Burngreave cemetery.

Eldon Street has wooden blocks, they sometimes get exposed below the tarmac after bad weather

This proves my point about being quiet near Hospitals, Eldon St is quite near what was the Royal Hospital.

Archived