How a battery driven hammer drill is organised inside

Does anyone know or have an interest in how a battery driven hammer drill is organised inside so as to (a) hammer (b) drill with torque limiting and © how does its clutch work?

Is its hammering mechanism the same unit as its clutch but with one plate held stationary? If so, how is this achieved?

In other words why can't the drill have hammering and torque limiting at the same time?

Do your own damn course work :P

I'm 76 years old. I don't have coursework.

---------- Post added 29-04-2013 at 17:40 ----------

Hey max, that`s a really interesting website. I didn`t read up about drills but there is all sorts of information on there. I could spend a lot of time checking that one out.:thumbsup:

I agree with Max. What a boring article. It comes nowhere near answering my question, either. At least Mart liked it.

I'm 76 years old. I don't have coursework.

---------- Post added 29-04-2013 at 17:40 ----------

I agree with Max. What a boring article. It comes nowhere near answering my question, either.

Why not just thank Max, for at least trying to help you.

OK Max. Thanks for the suggestion. I was really looking to find out whether the hammer discs are really the same unit as the clutch but used differently, ie one of them is held stationery. If that's the case then obviously you can't have torque limiting and hammering at the same time. But if there is a separate clutch then why not? Sorry I thought you were being sarcastic about the article being boring. I agree with you it is boring and it's not quite what I was looking for.

OK Max. Thanks for the suggestion. I was really looking to find out whether the hammer discs are really the same unit as the clutch but used differently, ie one of them is held stationery. If that's the case then obviously you can't have torque limiting and hammering at the same time. But if there is a separate clutch then why not? Sorry I thought you were being sarcastic about the article being boring. I agree with you it is boring but it's not what I was looking for.

That's OK, I use the site occasionally and was genuinely trying to help but found the article too boring and so didn't read it all to see if it answered your question.

OK Max. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. I didn't realise you were really trying to help. I thought you were being sarcastic about the article being boring and therefore by implication my question was boring. I'd just been told by tomm06 to do my own damn coursework so I was a bit touchy. Not your fault. Sorry. I was really looking to find out whether the hammer discs are really the same unit as the clutch but used differently, ie one of them is held stationery. If that's the case then obviously you can't have torque limiting and hammering at the same time. But if there is a separate clutch then why not? This article, like all the others I've seen, doesn't go anywhere near this subject so I thought I'd ask around and see what other people know.

Archived