Commuting between Sheffield and Leeds?

Having done Leeds to Sheffield commute, I wouldn't do it again. Did it for 18 months and really wish I'd not.

The train is a nightmare. In a morning, to ensure I was in the office for 9am the only viable train was 7.10am, which arrived at 8am, followed by a 15minute walk. All the others arrived too late.

The train home had to be the 5.10pm, which took 50mins, otherwise all the others were an hour plus. (I don't know if these times have changed - it was 2008 I did this).

It was, frankly, a bloody nightmare. The trains were rammed full, particularly the 5.10pm, and late around 75% of the time. Quite often, I would be getting home at 6.45-7pm, and I live 10 minutes from the station.

Taking into account getting to and from the station, I was leaving home at 6.30am and getting back, on a good day at 6.30pm, making it effectively a 12 hour day.

If you have family, it's just not worth it.

Driving was ok, but costly in terms of fuel and parking. The traffic though was hideous.

Don't know about buses, but I can't see them being fun.

For Dan (Hi Dan, we played your wedding!)...at the very south of Leeds, just off the motorway is a parking place near a Halfords garage. It's literally just off the loop road as you get off the motorway. That's £3 a day, and fairly near the office too.

There's a bunch of places you pay to park all day, I saw one near the station a while back when I went there on the train.

There's also a big one just past halfords on Sweet Street.

I dunno about free parking in the city centre, I get the feeling it's quite well controlled.

With you being in so early tho you might have a good shot a what little free parking there is to be had.

Hello!! Cheers for that. I dont mind parking on a side road thats out of the city centre and a bit of a walk. £3 a days not too bad though.

I seem to think that there's some areas around the back of the hospital too that are free if you get there early enough. In fact there are - I just remembered. Near the university at the northern part of the city, you can park there for free and walk in. Try around Clarenden Road area, and slightly north.

Having done Leeds to Sheffield commute, I wouldn't do it again. Did it for 18 months and really wish I'd not.

The train is a nightmare. In a morning, to ensure I was in the office for 9am the only viable train was 7.10am, which arrived at 8am, followed by a 15minute walk. All the others arrived too late.

The train home had to be the 5.10pm, which took 50mins, otherwise all the others were an hour plus. (I don't know if these times have changed - it was 2008 I did this).

It was, frankly, a bloody nightmare. The trains were rammed full, particularly the 5.10pm, and late around 75% of the time. Quite often, I would be getting home at 6.45-7pm, and I live 10 minutes from the station.

Taking into account getting to and from the station, I was leaving home at 6.30am and getting back, on a good day at 6.30pm, making it effectively a 12 hour day.

If you have family, it's just not worth it.

Driving was ok, but costly in terms of fuel and parking. The traffic though was hideous.

Don't know about buses, but I can't see them being fun.

For Dan (Hi Dan, we played your wedding!)...at the very south of Leeds, just off the motorway is a parking place near a Halfords garage. It's literally just off the loop road as you get off the motorway. That's £3 a day, and fairly near the office too.

I agree with every word of that!

I've even tried it on one of our motorbikes, but the standard of driving is so poor in the Leeds/Bradford area that it's not worth the risk.

I agree with every word of that!

I've even tried it on one of our motorbikes, but the standard of driving is so poor in the Leeds/Bradford area that it's not worth the risk.

I must be incredibly lucky! Done the commute for almost 10 years now (Wincobank to Leeds City Centre) and to be perfectly honest it's not that bad at all.

On a typical day it takes me 55 mins going, and 45 mins return, door to door and i start at 9 and finish 5.30.

(But of course when there's an accident on the M1 it's another story)

Did the trains for a couple of years, but the driving wins for me just for the convenience and it helps i have free parking at work.

I have friends who work near Hallamshire Hospital and it takes them 35mins to get to work in the morning so i don't have it too bad...

Archived