Primark - a web of sleeze!

No, it isn't about race, it is all to do with poverty and exploitation.

My theme is people dying in the ruins of factories in poor countries as they labour to enrich the multinationals.

My theme is why are they "poor countries"? It isn't something in the soil. Why is it Bangladesh a corrupt hellhole and Singapore is an example to the world of orderly decency? Both former British colonies, why is one leading the world and the other a retarded third world ****hole?

youve just answered your own post

companies like primark DONT own or build the factories, they get third party companies who manufacture clothing to do their lines and / or buy from suppliers in those cheap countries

how much is more? they can throw as much money as they like at the problem, most of the fault is down to the countries own infrastructure, if they cant police their own laws, planning / building regulations etc?

unscrupulous bosses and landlords exploiting said laws and regulation holes etc

Then if there are no guarantees despite what a company does then should the companies even be doing business there.

I don't for one minute underestimate the challenges of managing a complex remote supply chain, but they need to do much better. And that costs money, time and effort.

If they know there are no guarantees, and they are aware of the conditions then it is questionable ethics at best, wanton exploitation at worst.

They'll just smooth this over anyway so don't worry you'll still be able to get your hipster denim shorts at rock bottom prices.

Then if there are no guarantees despite what a company does then should the companies even be doing business there.

I don't for one minute underestimate the challenges of managing a complex remote supply chain, but they need to do much better. And that costs money, time and effort.

If they know there are no guarantees, and they are aware of the conditions then it is questionable ethics at best, wanton exploitation at worst.

They'll just smooth this over anyway so don't worry you'll still be able to get your hipster denim shorts at rock bottom prices.

You're right, we should boycott these dodgy countries. The workers who are laid off will then thank us massively as they will get housed and fed by Bangladesh's overly generous welfare state.

The number of people known to have died in the Bangladesh building collapse has now exceeded 500.

That's five hundred people dying in horrific circumstances, 500 bereaved and grieving families.

Yes its very sad.

Hopefully their authorises will stamp down on dodgy landlords & construction companies.

I fear they would probably have to pull down half the buildings in Bangladesh though.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes its very sad.

Hopefully their authorises will stamp down on dodgy landlords & construction companies.

I fear they would probably have to pull down half the buildings in Bangladesh though.

Clown Shoes is absolutely right.

Most of the buildings in Dhaka and other regions where poor workers are exploited by the multinationals are death traps.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/11/18038592-hundreds-of-buildings-like-this-bangladesh-factories-geared-to-produce-tragedy?lite

As the death toll in Dhaka reaches 1127, that is one thousand one hundred and twenty seven grieving families, my thoughts are with the bereaved. And we must all bear in mind that the responsibility lays with the multinationals such as Primark, who exploit unregulated factories in the Global South in order to maximise income for their executives and shareholders.

I'm going to stop shopping at Primark. I'd rather the Bangladeshis starve to death than risk earning a living in a dodgy building.

For many things you buy that are manufactured in the low waged economies in the far east the same story about worker conditions is likely to be repeated again and again.

For many things you buy that are manufactured in the low waged economies in the far east the same story about worker conditions is likely to be repeated again and again.

So says I1L2T3, and this is correct!

If you turn over a stone, you will disturb myriad creepy-crawlies, and if a building collapses or catches fire somewhere in the Global South, killing exploited workers and bereaving families, you will find corporate links.

The events in Dhaka were not a coincidence.

Creepy-crawlies like dark places underneath stones, and multinationals like poor people and states with weak regulations, because it is these conditions that provide opportunity to enhance profits. And profits means increased salaries and bonuses for executives and handsome share dividends for wealthy investors.

So says I1L2T3, and this is correct!

If you turn over a stone, you will disturb myriad creepy-crawlies, and if a building collapses or catches fire somewhere in the Global South, killing exploited workers and bereaving families, you will find corporate links.

The events in Dhaka were not a coincidence.

Creepy-crawlies like dark places underneath stones, and multinationals like poor people and states with weak regulations, because it is these conditions that provide opportunity to enhance profits. And profits means increased salaries and bonuses for executives and handsome share dividends for wealthy investors.

I was just wondering if you could inform me how you shop ethically in order to avoid exploiting workers in poorer countries.

No matter how you try when shopping the information is not always at hand in regards to country of origin, building regs, minimum wage,workers hours, minimum age etc.

Having seen the amount of shoppers in Primark and other exploitative global companies I really don't think anyone gives a toss!

Archived