Primark - a web of sleeze!

I dont think that alot of people in this country realise that the workers probably dont want you to protest & risk their jobs. If the wages were raised they would just move it somewhere else and that would be 100's of thousand out of work while the protesters are in uk complaining the price of Primark clothing has gone up.

Even though the wage seems the low the cost of living is far lower than anywhere else in the world.

I agree it is outrageous that someone would earn £1.20 a day but its their economy.

I wish i had Abramovich's money but that just the way it is.

The IndustriALL Global Union affiliated textile and garment trade unions report that as many as half the garment factories in Bangladesh are in buildings which are structurally unsafe, without usable fire escapes, or otherwise unsafe.

They estimate that it will only cost an additional 7p per garment to put right all the factories in the Dhaka area over the next 5 years

I would happily pay an extra 7p for an item of clothing to ensure that those working in those conditions are al the very least safe.

Safia Minney is founder and CEO at People Tree and who reported on the situation in Dhaka says workers tell her:

"Please tell the people who buy our clothes of our struggle!" "Do the customers in your country really want us to work this hard for so little money? Do they understand how hungry and desperate our living situation is?"

The IndustriALL Global Union affiliated textile and garment trade unions report that as many as half the garment factories in Bangladesh are in buildings which are structurally unsafe, without usable fire escapes, or otherwise unsafe.

They estimate that it will only cost an additional 7p per garment to put right all the factories in the Dhaka area over the next 5 years

I would happily pay an extra 7p for an item of clothing to ensure that those working in those conditions are al the very least safe.

Safia Minney is founder and CEO at People Tree and who reported on the situation in Dhaka says workers tell her:

"Please tell the people who buy our clothes of our struggle!" "Do the customers in your country really want us to work this hard for so little money? Do they understand how hungry and desperate our living situation is?"

I know how they feel.

This year my gas, electric, petrol, water, train fare & food prices went up.

I asked my boss for a pay rise but he said no.

The group that owns Primark makes massive profits and also employs very efficient tax management.

Private Eye (out tomorrow) makes the point that if Primark diverted the tax saved (£10m) from just one of its avoidance schemes it could finance the construction of modern and safe factories in the far east. Not too much to ask is it?

The group that owns Primark makes massive profits and also employs very efficient tax management.

Private Eye (out tomorrow) makes the point that if Primark diverted the tax saved (£10m) from just one of its avoidance schemes it could finance the construction of modern and safe factories in the far east. Not too much to ask is it?

Primark dont own the factories. They out source contracts to other companies that do.

I know how they feel.

This year my gas, electric, petrol, water, train fare & food prices went up.

I asked my boss for a pay rise but he said no.

With respect I think your circumstances and those working in the sweatshops of Dhaka are different. So I don't think you do know how they feel.

With respect I think your circumstances and those working in the sweatshops of Dhaka are different. So I don't think you do know how they feel.

Yeah i understand that but they live in a different economy. When i was in India & someone said a beer cost 40p, i didnt give them £3 cause thats how much it cost here.

You live in a western capitalist country and enjoy all the benefits of it. You probably buy sweat shop products every week. You cant have it both ways.

There are oil rich arabs living in palaces in the middle eat. Should i have a pay rise cause they earn more then me?

Primark dont own the factories. They out source contracts to other companies that do.

Yes and we know how that has ended up.

They could at least invest some of the £10m into properly vetting their supply chain partners.

Yes and we know how that has ended up.

They could at least invest some of the £10m into properly vetting their supply chain partners.

Absolutely, crappy high street retailers aimed at the poor should definitely be in charge of checking building code compliance in the third world. That's a really sensible system. I mean, it's not as if that's something their government might be responsible for is it? Plus low class clothing shops have a really in depth expertise on structural engineering so it's the perfect solution.

Absolutely, crappy high street retailers aimed at the poor should definitely be in charge of checking building code compliance in the third world. That's a really sensible system. I mean, it's not as if that's something their government might be responsible for is it? Plus low class clothing shops have a really in depth expertise on structural engineering so it's the perfect solution.

Yes I agree. It is highly desirable, for reputational reasons, for a company to be absolutely scrupulous about its supply chain. If it isn't then its reputation gets dragged through the dirt.

I also agree that you need to educate yourself about Primark. It looks crap but it's a clever act. It's run by a massively profitable multinational.

The most useful thing to learn about this is the necessity of health and safety at work legislation and well organised trade unions to enforce it, since legislatures don't enforce it themselves. The workers at this factory report being coerced to return to the building even though they knew it to be unsafe - had they had a strong union it is less likely they would have bowed to pressure from the boss. Bear this in mind because the Tories no doubt want to weaken H&S law and union rights in this country.

Archived