Bee deaths: EU to impose pesticide restriction

The EU has paved the way to a ban on neonicotinoid pesticides after a vote by the European Commission.

Although there will not be an outright ban the Commission will now impose a two-year restriction on neonicotinoids - and the UK cannot opt out.

Britain did not support a ban arguing that the scientific evidence was not conclusive but many have argued that a precautionary stance should be taken in case further damage is done to bee populations.

Without the honey BEE we are all DEAD, no two way's about it, I support any ban that MAY be causing these deaths, as we can't afford not to. Ban first, if it is found out later that neonicotinoid pesticides are not causing the problem we can at least re - licence them again, we can't re- licence the DEAD bees.

We also need to find out why the sparrow population has declined.

That's been put down to "modern farming techniques" - whatever that means. I've always had loads in my garden. One thing that also down to the mysterious "modern farming techniques" is the apparent spike in wood pigeons. Can't move for 'em !!!

We also need to find out why the sparrow population has declined.

Terraced houses still have sparrows living near them in Walkley, the new semi-detached ones don't. Modern house builders plugged all the gaps that used to provide nesting sites and we don't have outhouses anymore. I remember my gran's back yard in urban Salford, not a tree or a field for miles but dozens of sparrows in the backyard taking dust baths and living in the lav.

Then there's the general decline in the numbers of insects and invertebrates.

Loads more blackbirds and dunnocks nowadays but I do miss the sparrows. Privet and beech hedges help, I see quite a few walking past gardens containing them.

I love the stuff, especially runny honey and it tastes amazing on toasted buttered bagels and in porridge.

But looks like bee keeping production has dwindled and the government is considering banning certain insecticides.

I think the gradual decline of hot summers have had an effect but I sure hope they do something to preserve the humble honey bee!

Archived