Bee deaths: EU to impose pesticide restriction

If the EU are now banning the use of neonicotinoids, who were the bright sparks who approved their use.

I think they were approved for use before the impact on bees was fully understood. However, now there is evidence to to suggest neonicotinoids are damaging to bees, the EU is doing the right thing.

Remind me: what damned business of the EU is it?

The difference is that neither Greenpeace nor the RSPB nor any of those groups arrogates to itself an extra-territorial jurisdiction with penalties imposed and tax-demanding powers.

Is there something you're not understanding?

The temporary ban on neonicotinoid pesticides is obviously a sensible thing to do.

You seem to have got yourself in all sorts of nonsensical stuff to do with your Europhobic belief system.

I think they were approved for use before the impact on bees was fully understood. However, now there is evidence to to suggest neonicotinoids are damaging to bees, the EU is doing the right thing.

To be fair to answer reteps question "If the EU are now banning the use of neonicotinoids, who were the bright sparks who approved their use?" the direct answer is "The EU".

To be fair to answer reteps question "If the EU are now banning the use of neonicotinoids, who were the bright sparks who approved their use?" the direct answer is "The EU".

And the EPA in The States.

They looked like a good idea at the time. Now we know better.

And the EPA in The States.

They looked like a good idea at the time. Now we know better.

Fully agree. One thread you'll find me siding with the EU against the Government is this one.

But best not to present it as a victory of EU vs nasty national governments. The EU created the problem and has belatedly realised it screwed up massively.

Fully agree. One thread you'll find me siding with the EU against the Government is this one.

But best not to present it as a victory of EU vs nasty national governments. The EU created the problem and has belatedly realised it screwed up massively.

I don't think they created the problem.

They followed accepted procedures and it didn't work out. That happens, the important bit is what you do next. In my opinion, they have made a good call this time.

I don't think they created the problem.

They followed accepted procedures and it didn't work out. That happens, the important bit is what you do next. In my opinion, they have made a good call this time.

They clearly didn't create them as they don't create anything, but they made them legal to use. Now they have made them illegal to use, like you I think they have made the right call, unlike you I don't think they should escape culpability in allowing them in the first place.

At best they have corrected their own mistake. The decision is right but they should not be allowed to present it as a victory for the Commission, just the Commission putting right a wrong it allowed.

If the EU are now banning the use of neonicotinoids, who were the bright sparks who approved their use.

It's a science thing, Peter. When new evidence shows up, you are allowed to change your mind.

Archived