Having a coffee table stripped

I have been given a nice little oak coffee table the top is worn so I have thought about having the varnish removed so that I can stain and varnish it again myself.

Are there still places that dip to remove varnish or paint? would they do a small table? and does anyone have any idea what that might cost ?

Don't have it dipped. It'll shrink

And don't stain oak!

If you really must have the whole thing stripped, grit blasting is kinder to the wood

Oh thanks for that, its very dark oak you know like old furniture seems to be but the top in particular is in very bad condition, I would really love to do the whole thing in a much paler colour and give it a new lease of life, its old fashioned and simple but there is something about it that I really like :)

Do you know where I can get the grit blasting?

I had an old chest of draws and was advised to use a piece of glass to remove the varnish. At the time I had the patience and interest to scrape it all down. I think it took about a week, but it was a satisfactory job . I went over it with a fine sander to finish it off. I left it the natural colour and applied lots of bee`s wax. Still looks fine.

A simple palm sander and a variety of sanding sheets to fit it are what's needed. Start with the coarser grit, work down to the finest. Sand in the direction of the grain. With luck the varnish will not have penetrated too deep.

Your other option is to use something like Nitromors on it, but it's messy stuff, unpleasant if you get it on your skin and not as good as it used to be (due to post 2010 law regarding VOCs).

I've got a coffee and dining table in the same wood, ruined with cup ring marks. Would it be a simple sand and stain to get rid of them or will it be a difficult job?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Not as simple as it would have been to use coasters.:(

Archived