Desert rats

Hi,

My partner's grandfather served with the 'desert rats' during the 2nd World War. He was from Sheffield.

Does anyone have an idea which regiment he would have joined to be in North Africa??

We are both very interested to find out more!

Thanks in advance, helenespana

Mine served in a tank regiment, but I'm not sure which regiment but I'll try to check. My Gt Uncle was there in the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders... until he was blown up in Tunisia in '43.

Google is probably the best place to start.

The 4th Field Squadron Royal Engineers were also Desert Rats. So good look in trying to find him. I believe that there are Army records that you can search, someone on here may be able to tell you where to find them.

Hope you find him, regards Pete.

Hi,

My partner's grandfather served with the 'desert rats' during the 2nd World War. He was from Sheffield.

Does anyone have an idea which regiment he would have joined to be in North Africa??

We are both very interested to find out more!

Thanks in advance, helenespana

The desert rats 7th Division were made up of numerous regiments and not all English, indeed any regiment that fought in this Div could proudly wear the Jerboa shoulder flash.

My uncle also from Sheffield (Polar Bears) fought and was captured at Tobruk but latter escaped to fight another day.

I assume your partner’s grandfather survived the war, this being the case I can only suggest asking friends and relatives also any army photo’s you may have of him which show cap badge, shoulder flash and so on, if however he perished “ god forbid “ then-

http://www.cwgc.org/debt_of_honour.asp?menuid=14

The rats as I know them ,came from all sorts of odd regiments,a rag tag group that operated out of KUFRAH oasis (different spelling), find a map of Libya, go way south nothing else down there,I was in Libya for 3yrs a dirty and scruffy a lot (When operating in the desert)you would ever see,nothing like the smart one as seen in Richard Todds "The Desert Rats" this 1944/5/6 british film may still be obtainable ,a semi true version.I sincerely hope all the American versions where burnt as pure trash.Americans in southern desert, yuck i still get pains thinking about it.

Archived